Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Its a boy...now what?

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 17 Replies

So Friday I found out my little bundle of joy is a boy! I wanted a girl but I'll take a boy <3 I love him so much already. People are already giving me stuff and hamie downs from family. Its awesome However...I'm the type of mom that wants her child to be exposed to EVERYTHING not just sports. My family is very sports centered and even after I have asked that no one buy hm anything sports related because I will NOT use it nor will my son wear it, They still keep buying it for him. Same thing when I asked everyone to please give me and my SO time to adjust. How to I handle this beacause its getting on my nerves that my wishes aren't being respected

by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleMc
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Congrats. Sons ROCK! I was so happy & wanted a boy so I was thrilled.

Sadly people are so freaking sports centered it is insane. I really don't get it. Our son did do sports some, but he did everything. He played the drums, he was a scout & is an Eagle scout. We were into everything to, so we went past "basic" sports like just baseball, basketball & soccer ( NOT football fans at all ) and was into racing, swimming, curling, bowling. 

Things will calm down once your child is born I am sure, but also just return things you don't want or keep it in a bin if it is hand me down & then return it with other clothes you used. Take it with a grain of salt at first, and if you need to take a stand, take it. I was very adamant about what my son wore or did. People will learn to follow your led & respect your wishes ( complain behind your back LOL ) and more on LOL

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I would just put the stuff aside or return it. Congrats on your son =)

I've come to learn that people are going to do whatever they want no matter what others say, so I just don't let it bother me.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Dec. 8, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I would return.

dalbax2
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM
Meh....to me its not that big of a deal. You can still expose him to other stuff. You said your family is very sports centered so this is going to be an issue all thru his growing years.
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting goddess99:

I would just put the stuff aside or return it. Congrats on your son =)

I've come to learn that people are going to do whatever they want no matter what others say, so I just don't let it bother me.

Great advice!

letstalk747
by Bronze Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 5:08 PM

congrats ,  well you dont have to use them , if brand new return them

MaineMammax2
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Did you say you want to expose him to everything, but you refuse to use anything sports related? That seems a bit confusing to me, or did you mean expose him to everything except sports. I never cared what my girls wore or used if it was given to us I took it and used it because they outgrow it all so fast.
1L2CMommy
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:07 AM
This. Maybe try lookibg at it in the spirit it was intended. That would people that love you, care about the fact your pregnant, and having a boy. They're excited and want to introduce him to things they enjoy and want him to be included, and for you to feel he is included.
I also doybt your son is going to become a sports jock simply because family and friends bought him sports related items. Usually parents have a stronger influence then that.

Quoting MaineMammax2: Did you say you want to expose him to everything, but you refuse to use anything sports related? That seems a bit confusing to me, or did you mean expose him to everything except sports. I never cared what my girls wore or used if it was given to us I took it and used it because they outgrow it all so fast.
DeLaLi
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:48 PM

I would use it if it will come in handy or just return it. I pray that I am prego and if I have a boy, I will definitely be mixing it up. I don't want ONLY sports things either. I would also ask nicely why they keep on getting things I really don't want and if they keep on, which is odd, I would just ask for a receipt. 

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM

well sports stuff for babies don't really make a difference.  Take the presents and be thankful for now, be stern about your choices later.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)