Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you...

Posted by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM
  • 10 Replies
Deal with your child/children who seem to have no respect towards you or don't listen to what you say?

Its sad to say my 4 year old would listen to anyone else instead of me.

We used to live with my husbands grandmother so she believed her house her rules so she actually overrulled whatever I said regarding my child. My daughter picked up on that and now feels she doesn't have to listen to me (she even tells me so)

What would you do and how would you fix it? I'm at a loss. It makes me so mad/fustrated/sad that she would listen to someone else before me.

Please no bashing
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 8, 2013 at 5:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Well I think the grandmothers behavior did not help but so many kids listen to others before their parents. My dd is 11 and I always just tried to have a strong bond with her so she felt as though she could come to me and would listen to me. Sometimes you just have to be strong and say, I'm the mother, I'm in charge here and what I say goes. Just lay down the law, eventually she'll realize you are the one in charge. Good luck, you're not alone =)

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Dec. 8, 2013 at 6:47 PM

I agree with Michelle. Just lay down the law, your the Mother.

Franbuessa
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Start by being real tough. Any sign of disrespect merits a timeout. And timeout is really hard to do in the beginning but stick it through. My eldest when he was 3 would hit me but I nip that in the bud now he's seven and he thinks twice before he gets out of line. Good luck, you can do it!
pandybear1118
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM

im sort of having that problem and everyone keeps telling me DON'T BACK DOWN WHEN YOU SAY SOMETHING!!! and its been helping a lot. follow through with your consequences. if u tell her no snack now and she keeps on about it until you want to pull your hair out you still have to say no and eventually i think she'll get the idea of who's the boss

shaleasymphony
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Time out doesn't work with her.

Quoting Franbuessa: Start by being real tough. Any sign of disrespect merits a timeout. And timeout is really hard to do in the beginning but stick it through. My eldest when he was 3 would hit me but I nip that in the bud now he's seven and he thinks twice before he gets out of line. Good luck, you can do it!
Franbuessa
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM
It doesn't work because she'll sit there and not care that she's in timeout or because she won't sit there at all?

Quoting shaleasymphony: Time out doesn't work with her.

Quoting Franbuessa: Start by being real tough. Any sign of disrespect merits a timeout. And timeout is really hard to do in the beginning but stick it through. My eldest when he was 3 would hit me but I nip that in the bud now he's seven and he thinks twice before he gets out of line. Good luck, you can do it!
Janet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

You do have to let your yes me yes and no mean no. Don't give in.

Quoting pandybear1118:

im sort of having that problem and everyone keeps telling me DON'T BACK DOWN WHEN YOU SAY SOMETHING!!! and its been helping a lot. follow through with your consequences. if u tell her no snack now and she keeps on about it until you want to pull your hair out you still have to say no and eventually i think she'll get the idea of who's the boss

iamcafemom83
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:42 AM
I'd crack down pretty hard on her. When my kids (6 amd 3) don't listen or are defiant...well, every situation is different. ..but I handle it various ways. From a time out to going to bed early.
For example, if I tell (notice: tell, not ask) them to do something, and I get a no, or they don't comply: I will eother stop them and say "what did you say to me? I told you to xxxx, get up and do it", if they don't comply, off to their rooms.
It will take time to undo granmas work. You'll meed a routine, it will also help. It will be frustrating, but if you stay on top of her, she will come back around. Whatever you "threaten", follow through with it. That is a biggie. Good luck.
christina122952
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Have a talk with grandma
Irishmommy860
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Honestly it takes time. Make sure you are consistent. 4 year olds are already battling that independent attitude so just be more parent then friend. When you say no MEAN it, and it doesn't hurt to do time outs 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)