Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

new carseat and smoking law. have they taken it to far?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM
  • 41 Replies
2 new laws are trying to pass where I live not sure if its world wide or what. So, one is that there is no smoking while in the Car with kids under the age of 18. Or you get a 500$ fine if caught. Do you guys think the govnerment is pushing it to far into our personal life with this new law?
Now I do not smoke and no one in my house does. I just want to hear what other people's opinions are.

I don't think you should be smoking regardless when around any child what's so ever its horrible for their health I do however think the gov did push it a little to far by passing this law. ( not saying its ok for parents to smoke in the car) saying that its basically Intruding there personal life.

For the other law it would state a child must rear face until the age of 2. Which I think is amazing (: now people won't be so dumb and forward face a child who is not ready ( only know this from a friend whom I've seen do it) not saying all people who do are dumb. I understand there are circumstances that occur.

So what do you ladies think?

Oh and im in the state of ohio, Sorry it's long (:
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LyTe684
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I guess I just find it funny. They will fine for that, but are all for poisoning our food and water supply. Pump us with pesticides, etc.

So only they have the right to poison us?

FTR, I don't smoke. And isn't the RF thing a recommendation?
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in MI and I thought we got these two laws as well. I agree with both. I Hate seeing people smoking in a car with kids in it. My dd is 11 so Idk what I can say about the rear facing, except safety first I guess =)

AJsMom81507
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:48 PM

smoker here and i do not smoke in the car with kids, nor would i ever

as for the RF it is NOT a law.  the law is a child must be in a safety seat until a certain age.

letstalk747
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this

i havent heard anything about this at all , the smoking thing is going to far

MichelleMc
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this

The smoking thing is going too far. Yes, people don't want to see people smoking around kids but A. they chose 18. I mean, come on. Most of these kids sit around in a circle around their friends that are smoking. Not saying all kids, but to pick 18? Lets get real here. Also, yes, they are just making laws about things that aren't their issue to be involved in. They can't keep DUI people off the streets, and stalkers & PFA's mean nothing. But, lets keep a smoker out of a car...B. As someone else mentioned, what about all the rest of the poisons & things that aren't being worried about. But lets control if someone of age, is smoking in a car, ( where exhaust could be pouring in, or gas fumes or...) with a window open, with a child. They could smoke in the house, so um, why control the car?

I am not a smoker. Never have been. 

The rear facing, I think 2 is too much. I know I will be the outcast on this too. I get some people turn their child too early, but I think this is taking it too far too. I think we are just going too far with things. 

Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:23 PM
I think both are great!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I'm not sure if has been passed in IL or not, but they want to.make it illegal to smoke around children PERIOD including in homes. If they want to smoke at 18 more.power to them. Until then their parents are fined and they can spend time in juvie if caught so we don't have circles of.kids smoking.

Quoting MichelleMc:

The smoking thing is going too far. Yes, people don't want to see people smoking around kids but A. they chose 18. I mean, come on. Most of these kids sit around in a circle around their friends that are smoking. Not saying all kids, but to pick 18? Lets get real here. Also, yes, they are just making laws about things that aren't their issue to be involved in. They can't keep DUI people off the streets, and stalkers & PFA's mean nothing. But, lets keep a smoker out of a car...B. As someone else mentioned, what about all the rest of the poisons & things that aren't being worried about. But lets control if someone of age, is smoking in a car, ( where exhaust could be pouring in, or gas fumes or...) with a window open, with a child. They could smoke in the house, so um, why control the car?

I am not a smoker. Never have been. 

The rear facing, I think 2 is too much. I know I will be the outcast on this too. I get some people turn their child too early, but I think this is taking it too far too. I think we are just going too far with things. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amberlynn2010
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Only for weight and height requirements. So if the child is say the exceed weight and or height limit They still can't forward face untill 2 bc of the law.

Quoting LyTe684: I guess I just find it funny. They will fine for that, but are all for poisoning our food and water supply. Pump us with pesticides, etc.

So only they have the right to poison us?

FTR, I don't smoke. And isn't the RF thing a recommendation?
HippiPotPi419
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:41 PM

I think that if it's illegal to sit in my own garage and smoke a joint and not affecting anyone, then yeah...douchebags who smoke cigarettes in the car wth their kids trapped in there should be in trouble too.

toopicky429
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I live in Ohio, and hadn't heard that the smoking one passed. I haven't heard anything about the rear facing until 2 being a law. I know that is the newest recommendation, but didn't know they were talking about a law.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)