Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Watch the Amazing Way a Black Woman Responds to ‘Hairstylist’

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM
  • 10 Replies

The latest episode of ABC’s “What Would You Do?” sets up patrons at a Harlem barber shop to see how bystanders would respond to a black woman criticizing a black man for dating a white woman.

One of the bystanders responded in the most amazing way possible.

The setup begins with “Rachel,” an actress playing a hairstylist at the Harlem barbershop Denny Moe’s, flirting with a black man in the shop. When his white “girlfriend” walks in, Rachel begins voicing her opposition to their relationship.

“You’re with a white girl?” she says. “You couldn’t find a strong black woman for you?”

One woman sitting next to the white girlfriend quickly leans over and comforts her. “Nobody here is bothered by you,” she says in the video.

Rachel then tells the boyfriend that she hopes they don’t have any children.

It was at this point that the black woman, who first embraced the actress playing the white girlfriend, could no longer contain herself.

Black Woman Defends Interracial Relationship, ABCs What Would You Do?

ABC

“Like I said, she sounds like a real hater and she’s insecure,” the woman says in the video. “She’s ignorant. … I’m talking about you…you are ignorant. Keep your opinions to yourself because you sound stupid, alright?”

Still, she wasn’t done.

“I’m letting you know, black girl to another black girl, you sound stupid,” she lectured. “As much criticism as we went through as a people, you gonna go and do it to the next person? What gives you that right?”

When Rachel asked the woman why she was defending a white woman, she replied: “I don’t care what she was, she could be purple. I’m defending a woman. Period.”

Watch the video and the rest of the segment, which aired on Tuesday, via ABC:

by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM

What would you do?

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I would say something especially if my dd was with me, we are color blind and I would not let my dd listen to that bullshit.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I would have said something too. I don't tolerate stuff like that.

Quoting goddess99:

I would say something especially if my dd was with me, we are color blind and I would not let my dd listen to that bullshit.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I love that show but never saw that episode.

I would have said something, ignorance like that gets to me.

MichelleMc
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Would have & have. I don't put up with that from anyone. 

Michelle, Body Combat Addict 
Proud Mom of Jonathan, Army Soldier and Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

Join us in the  Pennsylvania Moms group.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 1:55 AM

Interesting show...my 1st. hearing of it..

godsgirl26
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 2:08 AM
What show is it. Would love to watch it.

Quoting natural_s:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natural_s
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM

It's called What would you do? Where real life situations are staged to see if bystanders will say something or not. Like I watched one the other day where they staged a homeless person near a food truck and had and actress take the homeless mans money so she could buy herself a cup of coffee. The idea was to see if those around and at the food truck was going to call the lady out on her actions or just ignore the obviously wrong situation (which sadly most people stare and shake their heads but do not say anything).

Their were those that saw what was going on but said nothing to the lady but did say something to the homeless man and give him some more money and there were a couple of people who said something to the lady and one man I thought was going to punch the lady in her face he got so heated that she did that, lol.

So it's good to watch because they have all different type of scenerios. I wish I could give you a time but I actually just ran across it while flipping through the channel because I did not think they showed it anymore since it had first aired.

Check your TV guide for it.

Quoting godsgirl26: What show is it. Would love to watch it.

Quoting natural_s:

Linda733
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I would have definitely said something even if it was the other way around. Even though that was just a set up stuff like that really happens all the time. It's ignorant and hateful

godsgirl26
by Bronze Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm going to check I would love to watch it.

Quoting natural_s:

It's called What would you do? Where real life situations are staged to see if bystanders will say something or not. Like I watched one the other day where they staged a homeless person near a food truck and had and actress take the homeless mans money so she could buy herself a cup of coffee. The idea was to see if those around and at the food truck was going to call the lady out on her actions or just ignore the obviously wrong situation (which sadly most people stare and shake their heads but do not say anything).

Their were those that saw what was going on but said nothing to the lady but did say something to the homeless man and give him some more money and there were a couple of people who said something to the lady and one man I thought was going to punch the lady in her face he got so heated that she did that, lol.

So it's good to watch because they have all different type of scenerios. I wish I could give you a time but I actually just ran across it while flipping through the channel because I did not think they showed it anymore since it had first aired.

Check your TV guide for it.

Quoting godsgirl26: What show is it. Would love to watch it.

Quoting natural_s:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN