Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Electronics for toddlers/preschoolers

Posted by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:02 PM
  • 10 Replies
My dh wants to get our 2.5 year old an Innotab 3 for Christmas. It says its for 3-9 years old. I looked it up and it looks like its geared towards 5 and up, not a preschooler. He said we will teach her how to do it. All I can think of is her holding it and us doing it for her the whole time.

Me personally, I want to get her something more non-electronic, like lacing beads/animals or something similar.

What are your thoughts on that for such a young child? What's something else that would work for our dd?

ETA: We don't have Internet, except through our phones and no wifi here either.
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rdp90
by on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM

My daughter looooves books lol, get her some new books!!

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM

I agree with books and lacing toys, mega legos, stuff like that. I think 2 and a half is pretty young for something like that.

Junebaby18
by Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:32 PM
Quoting rdp90:

She loves books too! I don't know why he is so insistent to get her something that she really can't use the way its meant to be used.
Junebaby18
by Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting goddess99:

I agree with books and lacing toys, mega legos, stuff like that. I think 2 and a half is pretty young for something like that.

I'm just not sure how to convince my dh though. We were going to get her some play cleaning supplies like broom, dustpan and mop since she loves trying to use mine.
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 14, 2013 at 11:59 PM

Check the stores/online...I think they will probably have some electronic like games more geared to age 2...

Junebaby18
by Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 1:04 AM
Quoting delanna6two:

Check the stores/online...I think they will probably have some electronic like games more geared to age 2...

My dh thinks that since she's "almost 3" (will be 2.5 in 4 days) and that she's verbally older than her age, that she can handle an older age toy/game. I don't want her to have a computer type game so young. She has a couple games on my phone that she plays once in a while, but I don't want her having her own yet. She's still pretty much a baby! I know they make games for babies, but that's just too young! They need human interaction, not computer mind numbing, eye hurting laziness.

Sorry for getting on my soap box. This wasn't meant to go against anyone that is getting one for their toddler/preschooler. Just what I feel for my child.
SHORTSHORT
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 1:06 AM
Leap Frog electronics are great for her.
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2013 at 1:19 AM
You are perfectly fine...as her mom, do what you think is best for her...
Quoting Junebaby18:
Quoting delanna6two:

My dh thinks that since she's "almost 3" (will be 2.5 in 4 days) and that she's verbally older than her age, that she can handle an older age toy/game. I don't want her to have a computer type game so young. She has a couple games on my phone that she plays once in a while, but I don't want her having her own yet. She's still pretty much a baby! I know they make games for babies, but that's just too young! They need human interaction, not computer mind numbing, eye hurting laziness.

Sorry for getting on my soap box. This wasn't meant to go against anyone that is getting one for their toddler/preschooler. Just what I feel for my child.
MichelleMc
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I think that people are getting their littles ones electronics like that way too early. I personally feel it is NOT good for the kids. THe rest of their lives they will have electronics in their faces. They need things that they can use their imagination while they are young & learning to use it. Electronics takes all the imagination away from it. It also can cause issues with vision constantly having these things in your face. 

rdp90
by on Dec. 15, 2013 at 1:13 PM

She can use books for years, you know as she gets older and understands them more and more. My parents got dd one of those leapfrog stuffed toys that sang and stuff if you pressed the buttons, had games she could "play" but she was too small and never played with it the way it was supposed to be. We ended up just getting rid of it eventually.

Quoting Junebaby18:
Quoting rdp90:

She loves books too! I don't know why he is so insistent to get her something that she really can't use the way its meant to be used.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN