Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

it's been one helluva 3 weeks so far...(kinda long read)

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM
  • 3 Replies

Ok, it's been one helluva 3 weeks so far, an off the wall awesome news and an off the wall shitty news:

awesome news first - 

my mom and natural father divorced when i was less than 2 years old due to major domestic abuse (the kind where he chased her with a butcher knife and friends and family had to hide her). she was so scared, she moved to a new country (USA) where she met my step-dad and had 2 girls (now 35 & 37).  i didn't know him but for my sake, my mom kind of kept in touch with him so i knew he was remarried and had a boy and a girl of his own (now 34 & 37). i've only seen my natural father couple of times my entire life (i'm not faulting anyone, it happened) and my siblings did not know about me. for the last couple of years, i've been feeling like i need to see him before it's too late. i tried to contact him but couldn't because he moved with no forwarding address or phone number. through an outside source, they were able to find my half-sister so i emailed her a few days before thanksgiving introducing myself. 

friday midnight (day after thanksgiving), i got an email from my half-brother, whom i've never met. we exchanged phone numbers and i turned off my phone to go to sleep (it's early saturday morning at 2:40); not even 30 seconds after i send him back an email, my phone rings and it's him! my half-brother!! we talked for over an hour and i'm planning on visiting him, his wife, my father and hopefully, half-sister (if she's willing).  awesome news because i have a younger brother who's accepting of me, the older sister he's never met (his sister is hesitant).

now for the shitty news - 

one week after thanksgiving, my entire family and i are still celebrating my new-found brother, my 37 year old half-sister (from mom) tells me she just came back from her annual check-up and they found a lump in her left breast. she got tests done and results came back last tuesday...stage 3. i don't know the name of it but it's the kind that grows very fast. what the F$%&! the irony in this...she does cancer research!!!! since she's a scientist and with family history (our mom had it over 15 years ago, she's been fine since; it runs in her dad's side of the family), she's very aware and will be very very aggressive about her treatment. she's leaning 99% towards double masectomy. 

this all happened within 3 weeks, from thanksgiving till now. i'm happy but on the other hand, totally duhhh. i don't know what to feel.

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Wow that is alot to deal with. Just take everything slow. Glad you're finding your family.

jky_67
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Thank you, I am.
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM

that's harsh - take everything one day at a time - try to stay positive

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)