Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Those who don't believe in Jesus do you celebrate christmas?

Posted by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM
  • 98 Replies

I believe in God but I don't believe Jesus as God or saviour. I believe him to be the child of God as we all are.

My question is: Parents who don't believe in Jesus do you celebrate christmas? If you do how do you celebrate it? How do you explain it to kids 4 years old?

My 4 year olds hear all about christmas from school and are excited about it but I have never celebrated it and I don't know how to celebrate it. I also don't know if I should explain as to why I never celebrated christmas in the past to a 4 year old. 

Any idea how I can celebrate christmas in a non-religious way.

This post is not about religion so please stay away from insulting and preaching others.

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HippiPotPi419
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:17 AM
6 moms liked this

I celebrate Christmas because I LOVE buying gifts for my friends and familyand I like to decorate. I don't do the Jesus or religious stuff. It's mostly just fun for the kids.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:14 AM
7 moms liked this

I am a Christian & Celebrate the birth of Jesus

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:22 AM
7 moms liked this

We're atheist. We celebrate Santa coming.

DanaG70
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:34 AM
4 moms liked this

We're also atheist and we celebrate family and friends and good cheer.

deadlights86
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:35 AM
8 moms liked this
The traditions of Christmas are older than the belief of Christ so believing in Jesus really doesn't have much to do with if you celebrate Christmas or not. The Romans the pagans and the Vikings all celebrated a form of Christmas long before people start believing in god and Jesus.
poshkat
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm Jewish and celebrate Christmas. Dh is Catholic, we are both non practicing. We celebrate the season, and the memories with ds. We do gifts and santa.
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Exactly - I was raised catholic but even at that, Christmas was never really about "The birth of Jesus" it's all about Santa Claus and presents.  In my house,  DD was raised completely agnostic and Christmas is about a certain time of year, joy, happiness, the pleasure of giving, of get togethers, and of course, presents.

To be frank I don't like Christmas all that much ... it's a very stressful holiday for me. 

Quoting deadlights86: The traditions of Christmas are older than the belief of Christ so believing in Jesus really doesn't have much to do with if you celebrate Christmas or not. The Romans the pagans and the Vikings all celebrated a form of Christmas long before people start believing in god and Jesus.

MaineMammax2
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 11:54 AM
4 moms liked this
We are atheist and celebrate family togetherness and Santa Claus and being thankful, no religion involved at all.
AliKatAK47
by Member on Dec. 16, 2013 at 1:51 PM
4 moms liked this

Jesus was born in March so I don't see how Christmas has anything to do with him. Christmas is a Pagan Holiday turned Commercial Holiday. I celebrate it because I like gifts.

tia16
by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 2:06 PM
4 moms liked this
I was raised Christian. But to our family christmas isn't about religion its about being with family, being thankfull, giving and celebrating santa comming :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)