Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Those who don't believe in Jesus do you celebrate christmas?

Posted by   + Show Post

I believe in God but I don't believe Jesus as God or saviour. I believe him to be the child of God as we all are.

My question is: Parents who don't believe in Jesus do you celebrate christmas? If you do how do you celebrate it? How do you explain it to kids 4 years old?

My 4 year olds hear all about christmas from school and are excited about it but I have never celebrated it and I don't know how to celebrate it. I also don't know if I should explain as to why I never celebrated christmas in the past to a 4 year old. 

Any idea how I can celebrate christmas in a non-religious way.

This post is not about religion so please stay away from insulting and preaching others.

by on Dec. 16, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Replies (91-98):
MustBNapTime
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Yes you can celebrate it...  For a secular way to explain it, its the time of year we celebrate family & being together & come close together.. Its time to give gifts & be extra kind & tell everyone you love them.... Also for kids it could be the day santa brings gifts...

We believed in God but our family was not the church kind & I was never explained Xmas or even Easter.. I dont think I ever ask, kids just think we do what we do --because we do.. Growing up I just enjoyed Xmas because it was fun... Puting up & decorating the tree, decorating the yard, wrapping the gifts, family & friends came over on Xmas eve & xmas.. It was fun. There was magic in the air. :)

Rajeshsmom
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 7:28 PM

We're not religious and we celebrate christmas. It's a nice time of the year and its fun for our son. Plus, it's nice having those family traditions that make nice memories.. 

gatormommy4114
by New Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 6:19 AM

this is what I was just about to say, we are members of the church of Christ, and we know that Christmas isn't about Jesus' birth... Our Christmas is about spending time with family and giving gifts to each other. So it isn't that hard to do without the Christ aspect.

Quoting AliKatAK47:

Jesus was born in March so I don't see how Christmas has anything to do with him. Christmas is a Pagan Holiday turned Commercial Holiday. I celebrate it because I like gifts.

MSJAP2010
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM
We celebrate being together with family. My husband is Pagan & I was born & raised southern baptist but do not practice. We don't even have a christmas tree this year
allabouttheleos
by New Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 6:56 PM

We celebrate it as Santa is coming, of course my DS is older now, so he keeps up the Santa act for his cousin 😊 we also celebrate Russian Orthodox Christmas Jan. 7

Icpjuggalette
by New Member on Dec. 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM

We don't CELEBRATE anybody or anyone, except our kids on their bithdays. We do Christmas for spending time with family, good food, gifts, smiles on the chidrens faces, mostly about being with family tho.

MooNFaeRie30
by Member on Jan. 1, 2014 at 6:10 PM

WE do it as a fun thing for the kid and to talk about giving. My girls are 7 and 5 now and they love to give gifts for people.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 1, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Sorry no advice really bc we celebrate as Christians.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)