Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Another Christmas gift question...

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 18 Replies

I've seen gift posts all over CM lately and I've hit my own dilemma and need advice.

DD just turned 1 a couple of days ago so after opening birthday gifts from family, we have discovered that there is going to be a plethora of duplicate gifts from other family when she opens Christmas gifts next week. Do I tell them and give them the opportunity to exchange their gift or is this one I should just keep my mouth shut and do it myself?

I told people months ago to tell me what they plan on getting her to avoid this, especially since her birthday is so close to Christmas, but clearly that didn't work. I'm glad so many people want to get her stuff (btw, she is the ONLY grandchild right now) but if this is going to happen every year, we have GOT to come up with a new plan.

Suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsAmyLynn83
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I know it doesn't work with most families but every year my parents and my DH parents ask us what specifically to get for each of our kids. We let them know and that's what they buy. I know some people think it's like we are TELLING them and MAKING them buy a certain thing, but they all understand now that the kids are older (8, 13, 14 and 16) they are going to want and need specific things. Works out great for us, them and the kids!

mrsmac521
by New Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 1:53 PM

We do this as well and our kids are only 6 and 4.  This is how we have done it since they were born.

Quoting MrsAmyLynn83:

I know it doesn't work with most families but every year my parents and my DH parents ask us what specifically to get for each of our kids. We let them know and that's what they buy. I know some people think it's like we are TELLING them and MAKING them buy a certain thing, but they all understand now that the kids are older (8, 13, 14 and 16) they are going to want and need specific things. Works out great for us, them and the kids!

johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Yesterday at 8:35 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I see no problem taking them back.I love when gift reciepts come with a gift.I tape  them to the back of gifts or gift cards

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Go exchange things yourself and buy what ever you see fit.  Much simpler

I personally give lists of suggestions to family and friends.  I've always done that. That way, duplicates or stuff she doesn't want or need are avoided. I still do that today even if DD is 10 years old.  It's so much easier !!!  There are specific things she wants and needs why buy her something that will end up at the bottom of a drawer somewhere, never to be touched again ??  (Because that has happened too)

MinglingMom
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:25 PM

We should probably do the same as you. People asked what to get DD and I told them we were getting her a Mega Blocks table and a JellyCat Bunny so then DH's parents and grand parents bought other Mega Blocks accessories (more pieces, a wagon, etc.) for her birthday and I just found out some of my family bought her those things for Christmas. That's A LOT of Mega Blocks! lol

In my defense, I did suggest puzzles, clothes (gave them sizes), shoes (she loves wearing shoes. lol), stuffed animals, cars, books and a few other things... but everyone decided to jump on the Mega Blocks bandwagon. lol. Being so close to Christmas does complicate things.

Quoting MrsAmyLynn83:

MinglingMom
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM

This is a good idea too. I may have to give that a try that and give different suggestions to both sides of the family. DH's family is good about talking to each other and mine is good about talking to each other... but we can't get his family and my family to talk to each other. lol

Quoting Jinxed8:

Go exchange things yourself and buy what ever you see fit.  Much simpler

I personally give lists of suggestions to family and friends.  I've always done that. That way, duplicates or stuff she doesn't want or need are avoided. I still do that today even if DD is 10 years old.  It's so much easier !!!  There are specific things she wants and needs why buy her something that will end up at the bottom of a drawer somewhere, never to be touched again ??  (Because that has happened too)

ctfirsttimemom
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 2:49 PM

It won't help for this year, but maybe next year you could do a "wishlist" at toys r us?  

I always include a gift reciept, but if you don't get one for something that is a duplicate I would just ask one of the people that got you the same thing if they would mind you exchanging it since she got 2 of the same.

MinglingMom
by Member on Dec. 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM

We actually had an Amazon wishlist setup for her and included things from other websites since Amazon lets you do that. However, the problem with Amazon is that when someone buys something off of that list, it doesn't say that it was bought (like registries do), it just gets removed from the list. Do you know if the Toys R Us wishlist does that? Because that would be helpful so people know what was bought.

Quoting ctfirsttimemom:

It won't help for this year, but maybe next year you could do a "wishlist" at toys r us?  

I always include a gift reciept, but if you don't get one for something that is a duplicate I would just ask one of the people that got you the same thing if they would mind you exchanging it since she got 2 of the same.

ctfirsttimemom
by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I only used the Toys r us one once, but it did come off then, just like a wedding registry. 

Quoting MinglingMom:

We actually had an Amazon wishlist setup for her and included things from other websites since Amazon lets you do that. However, the problem with Amazon is that when someone buys something off of that list, it doesn't say that it was bought (like registries do), it just gets removed from the list. Do you know if the Toys R Us wishlist does that? Because that would be helpful so people know what was bought.

Quoting ctfirsttimemom:

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM

If possible, just exchange the gifts yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)