Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Ok Ladies... I've been trying to shake up the menu at home lately.  I am making an effort to buy different veggies and making different recipes. In the past weeks I've done swiss chard, spaguetti squash, fresh brussel sprouts...

One of the veggies I picked up is turnips .. I've had turnips before ; raw, pickled lebanese style, pureed and cooked as a mixed vegetable in a tunisian couscous. 

But I was hoping you could give me your recipe for a way to have turnip (kid friendly hopefully) My husband has never had them and I'm pretty sure I"ve never cooked them for my daughter either.

??

by on Dec. 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Replies (11-15):
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Oh that's too bad =( my dd doesn't like them either.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Yes I like parsnip !  Actually I've bought them recently as part of my "shake up the menu" deal - I had parsnip before,  my husband had not.  I made it part of a blade roast with root vegetables.  The parsnip did not go over well with DD, and DH was "meh" with them.  :(

Quoting goddess99:

Have you tried parsnips? We roast those often, really good.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 10:30 AM

it was better than I thought.  easy enough to make.  DD didn't like it (shocker) but both Dh and I are willing to try it again.  the one thing is I made it as a casserole and it ended up being pretty bland and a little watery... maybe next time I should bake it uncovered or try to strain it or something first.

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

How is the spaghetti squash? I've seen it done before on cooking shows but I've been leery to try it.

Turnips? I have no idea. :)

splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM

bumping because I have no idea! 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I have not done them from scratch...I usually buy the Margaret Holmes canned turnip greens...they are really good...with a slight spicy flavor:)

Janet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I made them, but it's been years ago. I forget how and it was fattening.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN