Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

1st time mommy question

Posted by   + Show Post

Ds is almost 20 months and has had quite a few ear infections, he also is not saying any words (not even mama or dadda) just kind of babbling. the dr has not said anything about tubes, but I was wondering if & when your LOs got them. And if there maybe any corrilation between the ear infections and the lack of talking. His dr has set up speech therapy, I have not heard from them on when it starts. I know kids develop at different rates I just dont want to ignore this and find out later that he could have been helped.

by on Dec. 18, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Replies (11-16):
Purplepanda170
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Quoting Malayahsmom06:

Frequent ear infections does delay speech. Call and press the issue. I know all kids develop at a different rate, but you are right to be concerned. I have three kids, and all developed a little different, but words should be understandable by now. Keep us posted!

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I would say check with your drs. too...hope things work out...

Snapdragon88
by Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Yes. It could be related. My nephew had them put in when he was newly 2 because he couldn't hear. He just sort of babbled... they finally realized he needed tubes! He is doing so much better with his speech now. He does still see a speech therapist though, to make up for lost time.
Wee421
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Thank you all so much for the advice :) His therapist called the first appt will be fri before he sees his PCP. I will talk to him about tubes and the second therapy appt they will check his hearing. The 27th cant get here fast enough!

teachergirl
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:47 AM
My son was the same way plus he didn't crawl. He had tubes at 9 mo. 2 days later he stood up for the first time!!! There was so much fluid on his ear drums he was essential deaf. He had speech therapy for his serious delay. He is 6 now and you would never know he had a rough start. Push for a hearing test and tubes. Follow your momstinct!
whoodathunk
by Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I'd look into early intervention.  Speech therapy is great, but I'd have him assessed.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)