Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Dad Forces 5-Year-Old to Run Beside Car for 'Football Training'

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM
  • 10 Replies

Dad Forces 5-Year-Old to Run Beside Car for 'Football Training' (VIDEO)

by Ericka Sóuter

running boyParents are so overwhelmed with work these days, it can be hard to fit in family time. So typically, we applaud any efforts to bond and enrich your kids. Though we think one dad may have it all wrong. A controversial -- and scary -- video has popped up showing a father forcing his son (who appears to be around 5) to jog alongside the car to "train" for football. And if that wasn't bad enough, wait until you hear how he talks to the poor child.

How in the world does this dad think this behavior is appropriate? It doesn't look like fun or a game for this kid. And the way he is speaking to that child is indefensible. When has an expletive-filled rant ever been the proper motivation for a little kid? What is especially disturbing is that even when the boy is clearly exhausted, this man doesn't let up. Now, I am not sure what kind of athletic ability is required of pee-wee football players in his town, but this "training" seems over-the-top.

To be frank, this dad sounds like a big bully. Given his attitude on the video, I imagine this is the kind of parent that gets a little too intense while watching kids' games. We've all heard those stories of dads banned from the stands because of their comments or behavior. What he may not realize or be willing to admit is that this could ultimately hurt his son. This could be too much pressure at too young of an age. Not only that, it's just incredibly mean.

I can only imagine what his neighbors thought as they saw the out-of-breath child struggling to keep up with a moving car. He even complains of being in pain. His dad's response? "I don't want to hear about no excuses ... run or I'ma run your ass over." This man comes off as a total JERK. If I witnessed such a thing, I would feel compelled to intervene in some way.

What would you do if you saw your neighbor doing this to his son?

by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleMc
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Report him in 2 seconds, after I freaking stop the father & tell him off. I hate football to begin with. This is a lot of reason why. Parents & coaches take this crap WAY too freaking serious!!!!

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Dec. 21, 2013 at 5:01 PM

I don't think so!!!!

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

It seems like this is on a large property on a country road so it didn't really bother me. The dad isn't going to actually run him over, gezz.

MichelleMc
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM

So you thought it was okay how he talked to the kid either? The kid stopped & grabbed his stomach & said it hurt? I guess what my 5 year old & your 5 year old needed to do were different.

Quoting goddess99:

It seems like this is on a large property on a country road so it didn't really bother me. The dad isn't going to actually run him over, gezz.

Michelle, Body Combat Addict
Proud Mom of Jonathan, Army Soldier and Eagle & Vigil Scout
Proud Navy Submarine Vet WifeTo Jake

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM

He does have a potty mouth but I'm assuming that kid hears it all the time.

Quoting MichelleMc:

So you thought it was okay how he talked to the kid either? The kid stopped & grabbed his stomach & said it hurt? I guess what my 5 year old & your 5 year old needed to do were different.

Quoting goddess99:

celestegood
by Gold Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Unacceptable. Sad too. Poor kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetfox3
by New Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Why isn't dad running with his son?  Doing some conditioning drills together?  Making the kid run alongside the car and using expletives are not acceptable.  Nevermind the fact I do not like what football does to players with all the concussions the players suffer.  It is even worse for children because their brains are still developing and haven't grown into the skull.  

Janet
by Ruby Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Quoting celestegood: Unacceptable. Sad too. Poor kid.

Pnukey
by on Dec. 22, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Where is this boy's mother to kick "dad" in the gonads? 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Dec. 25, 2013 at 6:19 AM

I saw this on the news this week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)