Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

How should I take 5 children under 5 out on Christmas?!

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have 5 week old triplets, a 4, and 2 year old. My house is litterally chaos at the moment. 

I always have Christmas Eve at my house. I wasn't going to do it this year because we had so much going on, but I decided I couldn't let having 5 children get in the way of our traditions. We always do it Christmas Eve very laid-back, so it is going to be the same. We make a bunch of appertizers and a few big subs from Subway. It's "open house" style, so people come and go as they please. Everyone brings something, so besides the set-up and clean-up, it's not that bad. Plus the woman that helps me during the week actually volunteered to come and help with whatever I need.

On Christmas Day we usually go to my parents and then my mother-in-law's house. My husband and I both have huge families (I have 4 silbings and 9 neices/nephews, and my husband has 5 siblings with 12 neices/nephews) and it's always complete chaos. I can't imagine taking 5 kids, 3 of them being newborns, anywhere, let alone in that enviornment. They'd be miserable.

Instead, I thought I would put my kids in their Christmas outfits on Christmas Eve. My husband and I would give all our gifts that night. Then Christmas Day my family would hang out, open Santa's gifts, and spend the day playing with our new toys!

My family is so mad about this! Is this such a ridiculous idea? What does everyone think?

by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleMc
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I made a rule years ago, we don't leave the house on Christmas day. I had ONE kid, LOL. Your family is being RIDICULOUS! How can they not understand??? The newborns don't need to be drug around everywhere & you are still keeping up on Christmas eve. I would be livid if my family couldn't be more understanding. 

Cozie_Sisika458
by Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I would think your family and his side and friends would understand you just had 3 babies and going out with them all plus two other kids is insane. I would never expect that.
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Stay home. It fine. It's your family.... Perhaps create a new tradition of more " home " time?

I hated all the driving and visiting as a child. It was always so rushed and exhausting.
I vowed we wouldn't travel on Christmas. ( just me)
We don't travel for Christmas for now. When they get older, we'll see.
MumsTheWord571
by Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM
1 mom liked this
You have FIVE WEEK OLD TRIPLETS, triplets!!!!! They're being unreasonable. You ignore them and do your thing. Next year when the kids are a year old you can do Christmas Day out.
MilfordMomma
by Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

THANK YOU!!

I think they think I'm just lazy! They constantly pick on me because I have "a nanny" help 6 am - 12 pm and another 12 pm - 6 pm. Honestly, I don't know how I would survive home alone all day with 5 children.

Quoting MumsTheWord571: You have FIVE WEEK OLD TRIPLETS, triplets!!!!! They're being unreasonable. You ignore them and do your thing. Next year when the kids are a year old you can do Christmas Day out.

MumsTheWord571
by Member on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Lazy? They're out of their minds. When they've had 5 under 5 and 3 are newborns then they can talk. You're lucky to have mothers helpers!

Quoting MilfordMomma:

THANK YOU!!

I think they think I'm just lazy! They constantly pick on me because I have "a nanny" help 6 am - 12 pm and another 12 pm - 6 pm. Honestly, I don't know how I would survive home alone all day with 5 children.

Quoting MumsTheWord571: You have FIVE WEEK OLD TRIPLETS, triplets!!!!! They're being unreasonable. You ignore them and do your thing. Next year when the kids are a year old you can do Christmas Day out.

torttia
by on Dec. 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM
They are being unreasonable.
splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

They are freaking nuts... I would tell them you will come when someone volunteers to come get all 5 ready & care for all 5 while you are there! :) 

AMCMSM
by Member on Dec. 22, 2013 at 12:30 AM

I have 1 -5 week old ...almost and I am staying home cause I'm tired! They are unreasonable and I'd tell them so.

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I think it's a great idea. I wouldn't take all those babies out and about on Christmas. Enjoy your family at home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)