Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

HELP... My child is a Monster!

Posted by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM
  • 22 Replies
1 mom liked this

Recently my 3 year old has been increasingly defiant. His dad and I are divorced so there is no consistency between householes. I keep things consistent when I have my son. When he gets a time out he tells me no, refuses to stay in the place where he was put. He hits and kicks and punches. This is all new within the past few weeks. He has also started sucking on his hands. If I ask him to do something, such as put on his socks, he flat out refuses and tells me to do it. I'm not sure what to do with him. Oh and he will also pee his pants when put in time out, the last time I made him sit there until his timout was done with wet pants. How do I get him to listen and go back to the sweet boy he once was?

by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Newmom8912
by New Member on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM
See what's going on at dads house
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Try to be consistent. But maybe time outs just aren't going to work, try taking away his favorite toy for a while when he's bad or lose tv time. Time outs didn't work here either.

natesmommy10
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Quoting Newmom8912: See what's going on at dads house

Any advise on how to accomplish this? His father tells me that what goes on at his house is none of my business. I am trying, but continue to get no where.

natesmommy10
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Quoting goddess99:

Try to be consistent. But maybe time outs just aren't going to work, try taking away his favorite toy for a while when he's bad or lose tv time. Time outs didn't work here either.

I took his favorite blanket away this weekend to get him to stay in time out. I hate doing that to him, but I make him earn it back. What else did you do in place of time outs?

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM

I took away my dd's favorite toy, took away tv time, I was a mean mommy though. I didn't just take her toy away, I put it outside lol. Omg that would send terror through my dd that her favorite toy was actually not in the house anymore. The behavior changed and the toy came back in. But you know, I found what worked and you just have to do the same. =)

Quoting natesmommy10:

Quoting goddess99:

I took his favorite blanket away this weekend to get him to stay in time out. I hate doing that to him, but I make him earn it back. What else did you do in place of time outs?

engel
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this
The hand sucking and sudden urination in response to a "threat" are signs of abuse. So is over defiance, but at 3 they are already beginning to test the boundaries so that may be normal. Is your ex a violent person/have a bad temper? I would have cps doing well checks while your DS is over there.
krazymom2boyz
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM
I would definitely be asking my kiddo some questions about what goes on at dads house. Some of those reactions sounds like after abuse reactions.
splatz
by Sarah on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Ehh... I don't know. A lot of that sounds like normal 3 year old behavior. But some things would have me worried too. Have you talked to his pediatrician? Maybe they could give you a referral or offer some better advice since they know your child. 

How long have you and your ex been separated?

natesmommy10
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Quoting splatz:

Ehh... I don't know. A lot of that sounds like normal 3 year old behavior. But some things would have me worried too. Have you talked to his pediatrician? Maybe they could give you a referral or offer some better advice since they know your child. 

How long have you and your ex been separated?

We have been separtated over a year. Since June 2012. I have an appointment with a conselor at the beginning of January.

natesmommy10
by on Dec. 23, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Quoting engel: The hand sucking and sudden urination in response to a "threat" are signs of abuse. So is over defiance, but at 3 they are already beginning to test the boundaries so that may be normal. Is your ex a violent person/have a bad temper? I would have cps doing well checks while your DS is over there.

Thanks, great advise. I was thinking this.... needed to hear it, but don't want to hear it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN