Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is this offensive, insensitive, in poor taste or perfectly fine?

Posted by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 37 Replies

So Beyonce is in the hot seat for one of her new songs. As an intro to her new video for XO (which is a song about a troubled relationship) you can hear the voice of Steve Nesbitt (a retired NASA public affairs officer) say "Flight controllers here looking very carefully at the situation. Obviously a major malfunction," Those are the words he spoke when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded.

Beyonce, in an exclusive statement to ABC News this morning, said, "My heart goes out to the families of those lost in the Challenger disaster. The song 'XO' was recorded with the sincerest intention to help heal those who have lost loved ones and to remind us that unexpected things happen, so love and appreciate every minute that you have with those who mean the most to you.

"The songwriters included the audio in tribute to the unselfish work of the Challenger crew with hope that they will never be forgotten." 

However, NASA, astronauts currrent and former as well as the families of those lost in the Challenger have said,  that using it in a pop song mocks the crews sacrifice and opens fresh wounds.

The widow of the challenger commander had this to say: ""We were disappointed to learn that an audio clip from the day we lost our heroic Challenger crew was used in the song 'XO,'" she said. "The moment included in this song is an emotionally difficult one for the Challenger families, colleagues and friends. We have always chosen to focus not on how our loved ones were lost, but rather on how they lived and how their legacy lives on today."

So what do you all think? Offensive? Insensitive? In poor taste or perfectly fine?

by on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I think with endless sound bites and quotes available for pretty much any scenario, she could have chosen something else as an intro to her video rather than using a transmission from a national tragedy.

goddess99
by Michelle on Dec. 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think it's needed for the song. I wonder how can she legally use it without their consent? Which clearly wouldn't have been given.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Dec. 30, 2013 at 6:51 PM

In very poor taste!bad

mrsjksimmons
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Very tacky. I mean that would be like putting an audio clip from Sandy Hook on there. It is something that these families will never forget and torments them every day. Why rip these people's hearts open again and again?

KW1280
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Poor taste
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 9:58 AM
She blamed it on the songwriters .... Did you see that? Flip blame, flip blame. Was she even educated on this tragedy?

It's in horrible taste, and even worse... Her statement did not ACTUALLY give an apology but more of artistic license excuse
KW1280
by on Dec. 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM
I was thinking the same thing. She didn't finish school so she might not have known where the "voice recording" came from. Still no excuse

Quoting Momofmenagerie: She blamed it on the songwriters .... Did you see that? Flip blame, flip blame. Was she even educated on this tragedy?

It's in horrible taste, and even worse... Her statement did not ACTUALLY give an apology but more of artistic license excuse
Reina13
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I feel the same way.

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

I think with endless sound bites and quotes available for pretty much any scenario, she could have chosen something else as an intro to her video rather than using a transmission from a national tragedy.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I'm not sure. Is it part of the National Archives? I really don't know much about that stuff to be honest.

Quoting goddess99:

I don't think it's needed for the song. I wonder how can she legally use it without their consent? Which clearly wouldn't have been given.

Reina13
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2013 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

I just read her non-apology. My big thing is HOW DARE her compare the loss of a fake relationship in a SONG to the real life loss of someones lives!

I normally cannot STAND Beyonce and all her hype, but this cements my utter disdain and contempt for her.

Quoting Momofmenagerie: She blamed it on the songwriters .... Did you see that? Flip blame, flip blame. Was she even educated on this tragedy?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN