Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to stop thumb sucking??

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 5:42 PM
  • 17 Replies
We got temporary custody of my husbands niece and pretty soon we want to try and stop her thumb sucking. With a paci you can just take it away but I'm pretty sure it's illegal for me to remove her thumbs lol so any secret tricks? It's mainly just a night time thing but I know the older you get the harder it is to stop..

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Brett's mommy- March 26th, 2008
Brynna's mommy- December 9th, 2009

http://myjourneyfortheirmiracle.blogspot.com/

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bretnasmommy
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 5:58 PM
Bump

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:33 PM

There is a nail polish out there for this type of thing. It tastes icky so it's suppose to deter it.

Bump

caligirl7613
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM
how old is she? most kids DO stop on their own...both of mine did. unless she is over the age of 5 i really wouldnt worry. especially since shes mostly doing it to fall asleep its a comfort thing. Also, keep in mind she has probably been removed from everything she has ever known so she is probably kinda scared etc. but as PP said they do make like a polish type thing which is supposed to taste bad and deter thumb sucking and nail biting
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:34 PM

I wouldn't do it for a while aside from gentle suggestion. She's been removed from her home and now is in yours and is probably under a great deal of stress. Forcing her to stop now can be detrimental to her.

korra2013
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM
That's a way she self soothes,i would not be so quick to try and take that from her, given the circumstances
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Mine had to eventually wean himself from it as he got older....you may try redirecting her attention to something else...

Bretnasmommy
by Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 10:28 AM
Quoting caligirl7613: how old is she? most kids DO stop on their own...both of mine did. unless she is over the age of 5 i really wouldnt worry. especially since shes mostly doing it to fall asleep its a comfort thing. Also, keep in mind she has probably been removed from everything she has ever known so she is probably kinda scared etc. but as PP said they do make like a polish type thing which is supposed to taste bad and deter thumb sucking and nail biting

We won't be doing it right away because I know she is going through a lot right now. But my sister in law(the mother) said that she was in the process of trying to get her to drop her thumb sucking. So sooner or later we will end up trying to stop it too.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 12:59 PM

I definitely agree!!

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I wouldn't do it for a while aside from gentle suggestion. She's been removed from her home and now is in yours and is probably under a great deal of stress. Forcing her to stop now can be detrimental to her.

pdxmom1913
by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:01 PM

We had this thumb sucking issue with our son. We tried some many different ways to stop; nail polish & even band-aids. We finally got him to stop using these gloves called glovey huggey. http://endthumbsucking.com/

mommy2girls0506
by Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:35 PM

do you know what it's called????

Quoting goddess99:

There is a nail polish out there for this type of thing. It tastes icky so it's suppose to deter it.

Bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)