Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Has anyone had to cancel...

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 4:49 PM
  • 104 Replies
3 moms liked this
A birthday party? DS's first birthday is in 2 weeks, and we had planned to have a party, but we can't find anywhere big enough for the gigantic family and those big enough are already booked out. So since he's not gonna remember it anyway, we're considering just taking him out to dinner (and getting a little cake for him) with close family (my mom and sisters and SO's grandparents).

Would you feel bad if you did this? Am I wrong? Does a 1 year old need an actual party?
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM

I wouldn't feel bad cause like you said they will not remember. You just do what is best for your family, people will get over it. Now you know for next year to book earlier.

othermom
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I always did small partys, all though not many people came

TheMommaJessie
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:17 AM

all our parties are is just immediate family grandparents and some times great grandparents

torttia
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this
First birthdays are for the parents. He won't remember, it's so you can celebrate surviving the first year. Ds1 had a small party and ds2 just shared his birthday with his brother.
Bmat
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

No, a 1 year old does not need a party. A small get together where you snap a picture of him looking at his cake and another picture of the family will be nice for his picture album in the future.

mom23heathens
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this
in my opinion for 1st birthday you should celebrate it but on a small scale. They won't remember it, but it's more of a celebration for the family. It marks an important milestone in your baby's life. I had a party for all my kids 1st birthdays but it was at home and it was only the immediate family and some close friends, people who saw them on a regular basis not people that they didn't know or only saw once or twice in their little lives. Reserve big parties for when they're older and can enjoy it and remember it. Also keep in mind that the party is for the child not the people attending.
ramita
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Honestly no kid needs a party, especially a big expensive one. We've always done small family and close friends birthday parties and it works great for us. Your idea sounds just fine.
TB78
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:33 AM
I think what you have chosen sounds like a perfect party :-)
DiANAiVELiSSE
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:37 AM

for both of my kids - I had a small get-together at my home with immediate family only - and it was AWESOME! Because we all were able to spend quality time with them and have some great pictures to remember afterwards .. I say GO FOR it!

kellysparkles
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I wasn't going to do a party because we live 700 miles away from our families (my grandparents are about 150 miles away) and we only have but a few friends here but one of them insisted I have a party and we did.  There were about 8 adults (including DH and myself) and 5 kids - I didn't do a whole meal becuase I did the party between 1 and 4, but I did finger foods/snacks.  It was fun but we did it more for the pictures to show her than anything else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)