Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What to do about the neighbor's dogs!?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM
  • 24 Replies

Hello everyone!

Recently i got new neighbors. They are awfully friendly folks so i hate to complain to them. BUT they have 3 dogs. Our houses as well as 2 others all share a yard. These new neighbors seem to be respecting our yard space for the most part except for one thing. Their dogs use my part of the yard as their bathroom.

Now that there is snow everywhere i can see out my window patches of yellow snow everywhere. Since it's cold as well they don't immediately pick up the poop... so i have to look at that too. There are 3 dogs and they all use my yard, i feel like every time i look out the window i have to watch a dog take a crap! I've resorted to just constantly keeping the shades drawn which is really annoying being that we only have two windows in the "great room" (which is the whole first floor) and this particular window looks out on my back yard, the other to the street, so it's my main source of natural lighting on our first floor, i hate to have it closed up all the time. It's also my YARD, so my 2 year old cant play in the snow.

My husband thinks this is not something i should talk to the landlord about, but ive barely spoken to the neighbors besides a passing "hello". I'm not sure what i would say to them personally or how i would take a neighbor coming over and saying "could you restrict the bathroom area for your dogs to not in my part of the yard!?"... somehow i feel they would just think I'm nuts.

I'm not nuts right? i just like to look out at the small yard that is mine, without having to see a dog relive itself... or what it leaves behind.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO!?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AviannasMama
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Well the poop they can most definitely pick up. I was 9mo pregnant in the freezing cold winter, WITH a 15 month old on my back in an Ergo, and I had to walk my dogs and I always picked up after them.

The pee..well you share a yard..unless you put up a little fence, which doesn't sound possible, there's not much you can do about the "yellow snow" lol. Its not easy to get dogs to pee in ONLY a certain area of the yard.

I would def talk to the landlord about the poop everywhere. Do you have younger kids? You can say your kids play outside and they can most definitely pick up the dog shit that's everywhere. If your landlord is an ass, I would write an anonymous letter to them, maybe include a pack of dog poop bags. GL
Mrseoc
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Thanks for the advice. Yes i have an almost two year old who likes the snow. I don't like her playing out there in the dog mess though, and even if they did pick up the poop it would still be in the snow.... see our yards are all connected, because we live in row houses... so a fence is possible.

I'm thinking if this doesn't stop soon i will have to put up a fence so that we can play outside come spring time.

MichelleMc
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

It is very easy to keep a dog in a certain area. They could put them on a tie out or put them on a leash. Since you share the yard, but they are coming more on your side, I would just talk to them about it. They should be respecting that your "section" shouldn't be used by their dogs. I get maybe not wanting to go out on a leash, but ties are cheap. We have a lot of land, but still put our dogs on a tie out when going to the bathroom, so it is in one general location. 

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

first off don't talk to the land lord - go to the people directly. (it's twice as rude going through a messenger)  And talk to them nicely and use the kid angle.  Tell them you don't mean to be difficult but Ask them if there's any way at all they could restrict their dog's bathroom area so that your daughter could play in the snow.

I own a house, I have 2 dogs and yes the winter makes everything look SO gross.  Sometimes I wonder if the neighbors can see in my yard and are grossed out.  With the weather we've been having my yard is digusting, the poop is frozen into the ground and there's nothing we can do about it and the yellow snow, there's nothing to be done about that either.  My property however is fenced in with a wood fence.  But I don't let my daughter play in the back yard during the winter.  If she wants to play outdoor, she goes in the front yard. 

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Talk with them and if that doesn't help go to the landlord.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:40 PM

I would talk with them and if they give you any problems then go to the landlord.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I woudl talk with them.Hopefully they are responsible dog owners

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM

We somewhat share a back yard with our neighors. We live in a town home and each one has a fence that goes back half way. Then there is a path of grass that runs along behind the little fenced area. Our neighbors are always walking outside and dropping their little dogs in our yard. Its so frustrating. I've been tempted to talk to the landlord too. But I don't want to be a pest. 

nichole_erin
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:50 PM
You seem more bothered about having to look at it than having to keep your child from playing in it. I would ask the neighbors to stop letting them poo in your yard because your child shouldn't have to play in their feces. I would ask them politely, but really, they're being assholes letting their dogs crap in your space.
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I agree. This would bother me more in the summer.

Quoting delanna6two:

Talk with them and if that doesn't help go to the landlord.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN