Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Were These People Thinking?!

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:14 PM
  • 9 Replies

Couple Leaves Crystal Meth for Waitress Instead of Cash Tip

by Sasha Brown-Worsham 

tipsRestaurant tip stories often run the gamut between the utterly heartwarming -- people leaving $6,000 for one waitress because she was a foster child -- to the absurd -- people stiffing waitresses and waiters for no reason. But even among those stories, I think this one takes the cake. An Oregon couple tipped their waitress with crystal meth. Oh yes. You read that right. She was tipped in drugs.

This all happened in a steakhouse in Seaside, Oregon when a couple who paid using a gift card tried to tip their server with an envelope marked with a question mark. Inside was a stash of the crystal meth they'd been cooking.

What isn't clear is how the waitress knew what she was looking at. Maybe she asked. Honestly, I would have no idea what crystal meth even looks like. But then, she called the police. Police arrived and found the woman still holding 17 ounces of the drug. Then they found a meth lab in the couple's room at the Holiday Inn. Dumbest dealers ever? Yes and no.

Yes, it's incredibly stupid to leave a tip of drugs for a waitress they have no sense about. Not EVERYONE appreciates crystal meth. In fact, I'd say most of us would be horrified by it and would do exactly what this waitress did.

However, if this was their livelihood and worth a lot of money to them, then at least they were trying. It's kind of a sad statement on their state of mind and how out of it they must have been to think this was appropriate. On the other hand, there are so many stories of stiffed waitresses and customers who think it's fine to run up a $400 tab without giving their server a penny.

At least they tried, right? There is no excuse for it and it was dumb, dumb, dumb, but I do feel badly for them. Their hearts were likely in the right place even if their heads were not.

Now they will go to jail -- and rightly so -- and maybe next time they won't eat out until they have cash on hand. I am sure 99.9 percent of servers would much prefer that.

What do you think these people were thinking?

If you ever worked in the service industry, what was the strangest 'tip' you ever received?

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:57 PM

I think they were as dumb as soup.  What a very stupid thing to do. Either way meth heads are not exactly known for being the sharpest knives in the drawer. 

But yeah I would not have known what the hell I was looking at either.  I would have probably just  thrown it in the garbage. lol

JJJMommyKris
by Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:01 PM

That is crazy! I don't think they were thinking. It has been a really long time since I worked in a tipping environment, I don't remember the strangest tip I received. I do remember one guy leaving me a note written in mustard on a napkin. But that was extra, not the tip itself.

johnny4ever
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Oopsy!They messed up!

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Wow... they were probably too messed up to actually think.

The only non-money tip I ever got as a waitress was those little booklet things from churches. 

Deannie1258
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:40 PM
I saw this and my thoughts were what is this world coming to. There are some craziness happening out there ladies. Hugs and smiles Deannie
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:22 PM

Wow. The strangest things I've received are hotel room keys. Never used them.

Kitty_Myrick
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Meth enough said.

happy new year

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 7:19 PM

They must have been high. 

Pammi86
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:14 PM

These people are crazy!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)