Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Help! My daughter is a vegetarian & I need recipes!!

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:01 AM
  • 12 Replies
Hello!
My daughter is 6 years old & a hard core vegetarian! It is because she honestly does not like meat, never really has. I'm looking for recipes that she will get her protein but also that are cheap & easy to make. I'm not changing everyone's diet to be vegetarian but just a few options would be nice.
It seems everytime she eats meat, bread & sometimes pasta & potatoes it makes her sick to her stomach. Not everytime & it doesn't happen with chicken (unless it's fried!) I am going to mention it to our pediatrician because this has been going on long enough. I'm afraid she might actually have a stomach issue. My husband seems to think she's just getting out of eating & it's a 6 yr old thing! I don't agree. So, any moms have advice on that too it would help :)
Thanks!!
Btw- I am going to start buying organic... No GMOs. Maybe that will help in stomach issues?
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:19 AM
Peanut butter and eggs have alot of protein. I don't eat meat or eggs, I just make a meal for my family and don't take any meat. I don't really make separate meals. I'm not really into the tufo, fake meat stuff, I just cook many different veggies, and eat fruit when it's in season. I would definitely talk to her doctor though, there may be more going on than her just not liking the taste and texture of meat. Good luck!
lonestargirl1
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 8:49 AM

My daughter was the same way when she was little, except she would eat an occasional chicken tender. I recall her first bite of baby food with veal in it - she hated it right from the start and refused to eat it. Have you tried any of the LightLife products? My daughter (now 21) will eat their Smart Ground  Mexican in tacos, and some of their "chicken" prodcuts. Our whole family now eats the Mexican product in tacos, and even my husband who is a native Texan and die-hard carnivore, doesn't mind them. For a long time I was just mixing it with the refried beans and told him it was turkey. He had no idea. Finally had to confess! She also enjoys Morning Star Farms veggie burgers and some of their other products, So if we're having burgers, I just pull a veggie burger out of the freezer for her. 

Also, if you search the internet for vegetarian recipes for kids, you'll find a lot of ideas.

mamalynnsmith
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:14 PM

How about beans ,lentils, quinoa . They have lots of protein . We eat the three often to do meatless meals a few days a week

JulieSantee
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Have you ever read, "Eat Right For Your Blood Type?"  My brother and I were amazed that we both naturally ate what was best for each of us (except for the coke. I don't know why Coca-cola wasn't listed among the 0- foods.)  My brother is A+ and prefers a vegetarian diet. 

Since you asked for recipes, one of my favorite things to do is put beans in a blender and put them on my kids sandwhiches.  I do add meat to theirs, but not as much as I would without the beans.  I wonder if she'd like that with cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes (minus the meat.)

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Look online for vegeterian lasagnas! I hear they are great!

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 1:51 PM
Lentils, quinoa, beans, eggs, almond butter, nuts, peas, broccoli, chickpeas, spinach...
I'm a vegetarian and my kids are mostly. Like your daughter I've never liked meat. It has always made my stomach hurt and my parents raised it themselves.
I make batches of things like black bean burgers and bean "meatballs" to freeze. I avoid soy and those fake meats because they really aren't healthy.
mommy2two25
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Thank you so much guys! I will definitely start looking up bean recipes... She doesn't like beans that much but said she would give it a try! Today we went out to eat for my brothers birthday. She had a salad & macaroni and cheese... She almost ate it all! I don't remember the last time she ate at a restaurant without throwing up or complaining and not eating. Keep the ideas coming... I love these :)
mommy2two25
by Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:25 PM
This is very interesting! Thank you for the idea. I will check into what blood type she is & see what it says. Honestly, I am not a huge fan of eating meat. Growing up I was against animal cruelty so I boycotted meat for over 5 years. I started eating chicken & hamburger once I moved out on my own! I never felt sick from meat though. I still eat it with my family but I eat more of the sides then meat! I am a+ blood too! Thanks for the advice :)

Quoting JulieSantee:

Have you ever read, "Eat Right For Your Blood Type?"  My brother and I were amazed that we both naturally ate what was best for each of us (except for the coke. I don't know why Coca-cola wasn't listed among the 0- foods.)  My brother is A+ and prefers a vegetarian diet. 

Since you asked for recipes, one of my favorite things to do is put beans in a blender and put them on my kids sandwhiches.  I do add meat to theirs, but not as much as I would without the beans.  I wonder if she'd like that with cheese, lettuce, and tomatoes (minus the meat.)

RandiBear
by New Member on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:33 PM

It could be a stomach issue, but she could have a gluten issue as well. There are a million reasons why one wouldn't be able to eat meat. My older sister had the same issue as a teen. Turned out her stomach couldn't digest it because of a stomach acid issue. A few months of medicine and she was fine again. In the meantime....

allrecipes .com  and bigoven.com are great places to find healthy vegetarian recipes and most of their stuff is pretty cheap to make if you know where to shop...and the food is good enough even us carnivores like it (I will add some pan seared chicken to my hubby's dish when I don't feel like eating meat myself)!

Lynette
by on Jan. 10, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Have you tried a gluten free diet? Get yourself on Pinterest, great place to find recipes!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN