Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can a 1 year old be depressed?

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:33 PM
  • 38 Replies
1 mom liked this

We just got temporary custody of our niece. She is 14 months old and this poor girl has been to hell and back in her short life. She has moved from one home to another multiple times(has probably lived in 6 different places but goes back and fourth between certain houses. Both parents are in jail. She has lived in 3 different states in the past 3 months. She is extremely delayed, overweight, and seriously could sleep her life away if we let her. She also cries all the time. Whenever we get on to her for certain things she freaks out and has certain fidget habits(but 'm pretty sure the reason she freaks out when she gets in to trouble is because she has probably never been disciplined before).. I feel so bad for her because she is such a good sweet little girl but she hardly ever smiles and doesn't laugh. She has started smiling more within the pasty few days and has laughed 1 time.. Forgot to mention that she also cries in her sleep. Not with tears its more like whinning and it doesn't last long but normally happens at least 1-3 times a night. 

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
Brett's mommy- March 26th, 2008
Brynna's mommy- December 9th, 2009

http://myjourneyfortheirmiracle.blogspot.com/

by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethie_perez
by on Jan. 11, 2014 at 8:50 PM
Awww idk, just keep loving her hun. You'll get threw. Are you trying for full custody?
grneyedormom
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, given she has been sorely neglected she is likely failure to thrive. With love and care, regular meals, structure and consistency she'll begin to trust. Speak with your ped about what other things you can do with her to help her adjust to the significant changes she is experiencing.
Bretnasmommy
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:03 PM

As of now no. I'm praying and hoping her mom can get her act together and step up to be the mom she needs to be. I know she loves her daughter she has just put her through way too much and needs to get her priorities straight. But we will have her for at least a year. 

Quoting Bethie_perez: Awww idk, just keep loving her hun. You'll get threw. Are you trying for full custody?

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

Bretnasmommy
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I looked up failure to thrive but she isn't underweight? She is in the 100% in weight and height and has a huge head compared to most kids lol. 

Quoting grneyedormom: Yes, given she has been sorely neglected she is likely failure to thrive. With love and care, regular meals, structure and consistency she'll begin to trust. Speak with your ped about what other things you can do with her to help her adjust to the significant changes she is experiencing.

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

grneyedormom
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Failure to thrive can also be the mental health portion and falls under neglect. My brother was FTV at the orphanage in my our state before he came home to us but was at a healthy weight.

Quoting Bretnasmommy:

I looked up failure to thrive but she isn't underweight? She is in the 100% in weight and height and has a huge head compared to most kids lol. 

Quoting grneyedormom: Yes, given she has been sorely neglected she is likely failure to thrive. With love and care, regular meals, structure and consistency she'll begin to trust. Speak with your ped about what other things you can do with her to help her adjust to the significant changes she is experiencing.

Bretnasmommy
by Member on Jan. 11, 2014 at 9:26 PM

I will say everything else in failure to thrive hits spot on. She is constipated, lived in a poverty lifestyle before she came with us(I'm not saying we are rich because we are FAR from it but it is much better than where she lived before), her diet was HORRIBLE and she had horrible eating habits(still does but we are working on those), her pysical, mental, and social skills are extremely delayed, she has the excessive crying, lethargic, and is VERY irritable. So that could very well be it. 

Quoting grneyedormom: Failure to thrive can also be the mental health portion and falls under neglect. My brother was FTV at the orphanage in my our state before he came home to us but was at a healthy weight.

Quoting Bretnasmommy:

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Sounds like she has been through a lot and that would have a non positive effect on her....I would say also just give her love and time and hopefully with the postive environment of love/care you are giving her, she will improve....Hope all works out...

luvmybug
by Amanda on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:09 AM
I think a 1yr old can be depressed. Just make sure to give lots of love!!!
Mrseoc
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Poor baby!!

Of course she can show signs of emotional distress. She still has emotions, albeit that of a one year old.

I'm sure everything she's been through has caused her to have a lot of anxiety about simple things.. such as being told no, or maybe when you leave the house. The poor baby just need stability.

I'm glad she's got new guardians. I hope you can make her feel more relaxed. Since she's so young she would probably benefit the most from a stable routine. You know when she eats, plays, goes outside, goes to bed. At her age it means a lot to her to be able to predict what's coming next.

A good diet, with fresh food and low sugar should help her mood swings. Also a schedule that she can depend on, will make her less anxious about day to day things.

I really hope she calms down for you. This is such a great age, it's a shame she's experiencing it the way you describe.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Was her mom on drugs?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)