Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should parents manage their high school students school work, or should it be the student's job?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:47 AM
  • 137 Replies

I have 5 children, but my oldest is only four, so I don't have personal experience with this. Of course I know young children need guidance. But IMO, by high school teenagers should be responsible for doing their homework, studying, etc. In four short years they will be in college. Mom and dad can't be over their shoulder forcing them to go to class, do their homework, and study. 

My sister and I were discussing this today. She has a teenager that she micromanages. Yes, she has a 3.8 GPA, is an amazing 3 sport athlete, does lots of community service, etc. But at this point I think it should be up to her, or else she'll make it to college and won't know what to do with herself!

Just curios, what do you all think?

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:50 AM

My teens do their own and will ask me or their dad a question if needed...mostly they use the internet/library and their teachers for other help.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

They would be expected to do their own

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I think your right.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Do their own.

Vitametavegamin
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I think kids of all ages should be taught to be responsible for their own school work. My oldest is in first grade and I'm teaching her that it's her responsibility to get her work/studying done. She's very good about it. She loves school and doing homework and studying though, so it comes easy to her. I just make sure to check her work to make sure it's done right. If she has any questions she always comes to me.
rocamom
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:15 PM
6 moms liked this

I think it should be up to the student to get their work done but I think a parent should make sure the work is getting done.  This kid sounds like a good kid but sometimes kids lie about doing their school work. 

Twix.Leigh
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:16 PM
The teens SHOULD remember to do their homework and all that, mommy and daddy won't be there to remind them what needs to be done at work, they need to learn responsibility.
littlepinkrose
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:24 PM
3 moms liked this
I have a set time for my nephew to do his homework and that is all. He knows that at 4:00 it is homework time. He has never had a problem with this he is only 7 but I plan to keep it up. You don't need to be up your kids butt about it though. Having a set time and starting good homework habits early will help them establish healthy patterns later on when they need them the most. And always being avaliable when they need it helps.
toopicky429
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it depends on the child. My mom was one of those parents who left it up to us to do our work, and never checked our grades or homework. So I did just enough to scrape by to graduate, and my sister did the same. However in college since I had to pay for it, I was a great student. My kids are still in elementary school and both do their work with little help, but I always check it and will probably continue to do that while they live at home.
jett286
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:30 PM

My boys are responsible for their own work.  We ask them how they are doing in classes and I can check my HS students grades online (which I do occassionally) but my college freshman is compeltely responsible for his schedule, classes and homework.  He is living at home while attending a local community college but plans to go to university next year or the year after and he has to be able to handle it.   Mommy and daddy will always be supportive but I don't get them up for school or do their laundry or monitore them to the nth degree.  So far they are both 3.0+ students and are doing well.  (Not that this was always the case, middle school was hell) Because THEY want to....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)