Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Holy helicopter mom, Batman !

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this

There's being a caring mom and then there's being an over-bearing helicopter parent... I'll give you the Reader's digest version :

Last year DD invites a little friend to her Bday party.  I did it in a cooking school, there was a cupcake workshop. The mom owns a daycare and asks me if she can stick around a while to get some ideas for her daycare I said Ok.  She stayed the WHOLE time.  She gave me a hand in some situations and was nice enough but I thought that was kind of odd.  (it was my DD's 9th birthday)

This year was the big 1-0 for DD so I rented a private room in a restaurant, served lunch and had a DJ there to do a dance party.  Of course the mom asks me again, I tell her she's welcome to eat with us, however, I am paying for the kids only.  When they get there, she spent at least 1/2 hour in the room with us, and said her and her husand decided that they'll eat at the restaurant too, so they took the booth right outside the private room.  (sigh of relief)

But does she not pop in and out periodically to come and see her daughter, she even came in and cut her food  ! This is when I lost it.  @*&^%$ woman leave your kid BE !!!!!  Let her have fun !! Don't embarass her in front of all the other kids !!  She hung around the restaurant for a least 2 hours then I guess her husband finally dragged her away. 

Sheesh !!!!!!!! 

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Wow, I have remind myself to let go some with my youngest...

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Wow, this would drive me crazy! Cut the cord already!

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Some moms need a life. Poor kid.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Seriously glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks like this.  Her kids are gonna be "handicapped'.  Already when her kid showed up, as long as her mom was there she was all shy and stuff, then her mother left the room, and she bloomed. 

And I mean I don't care how old you are, when you're sitting with 11 other kids your age and your mom comes in the room and cuts your food for you like a 3 year old it's gotta be embarassing !!  Oh yeah and when her plate was done, she took her plate away and had the food doggy-bagged and brought it home ROFL !!!!!!!!!

Quoting goddess99:

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM

My husband often accuses me to be a helicopter mom because I'm really not quite comfortable with letting my daughter go to the park alone, or riding her bike places but he says I'm totally liberal compared to her.

I mean hell, when my daughter gets called for a play date, my husband and I high five each other !! it's like "WOOT a free afternoon"  when she gets invited for a sleep over we break into our happy dance !! LOL

Quoting delanna6two:

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Omg she is just scarring her poor dd. My dd can be a handful especially when she was younger but even then I Never stayed, never asked to stay, never wanted to stay. I just gave my cell # and said to call if they needed me to pick her up. Never got a call.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Seriously glad to see that I'm not the only one who thinks like this.  Her kids are gonna be "handicapped'.  Already when her kid showed up, as long as her mom was there she was all shy and stuff, then her mother left the room, and she bloomed. 

And I mean I don't care how old you are, when you're sitting with 11 other kids your age and your mom comes in the room and cuts your food for you like a 3 year old it's gotta be embarassing !!  Oh yeah and when her plate was done, she took her plate away and had the food doggy-bagged and brought it home ROFL !!!!!!!!!

Quoting goddess99:

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Some Moms just don't have a life.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here !! Hell, about a month ago DD was invited to a classmate's house for a playdate.  This little girl lives a good 40-45 minutes away from us but it was important to DD so I went and left her there for the day. Chi chatted with the mom 15 minutes and left, later on in the day DD called me and asked if she could spend the night (again even if I didn't really know the people ... sometimes you gotta let go !)  so I let her.  I take playdates, Birthday parties and sleep-overs as spontaneous date nights for DH and I.  And we do appreciate them !!

Quoting goddess99:

Omg she is just scarring her poor dd. My dd can be a handful especially when she was younger but even then I Never stayed, never asked to stay, never wanted to stay. I just gave my cell # and said to call if they needed me to pick her up. Never got a call.

Quoting Jinxed8:

Quoting goddess99:

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:09 PM

LOL...yes, it helps to get a break in sometimes:)

Quoting Jinxed8:

My husband often accuses me to be a helicopter mom because I'm really not quite comfortable with letting my daughter go to the park alone, or riding her bike places but he says I'm totally liberal compared to her.

I mean hell, when my daughter gets called for a play date, my husband and I high five each other !! it's like "WOOT a free afternoon"  when she gets invited for a sleep over we break into our happy dance !! LOL

Quoting delanna6two:

MichelleMc
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:23 PM

She cut her food up! I mean, I could see if she maybe stayed near by if it was far for her to travel but otherwise, um no and I wouldn't come in. And if we weren't good friends, I wouldn't have came in & hung out with you. If we were good friends I would to HELP YOU with the party, nothing with my kid LOL. If it was like 30 minutes each way for me or more, I would maybe find something close by to do ( mall, stores, something to not have to drive back & forth ) But Iw ouldn't be up my childs behind. And cut her food? OMGOSH.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN