Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Can men and women really be 'just' friends?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM
  • 99 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was reading a post in another group and the poster wasn't happy about her husband getting a text from a female friend he works with.

It got me thinking. Do you think men and women who are not in a relationship can be just friends?

Do you have friends of the opposite sex? Does your significant other?

How do you feel about your S/O having friends of the opposite sex? How do they feel about you having friends of the opposite sex?

Has it ever caused problems in your relationships?

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I have friends who are friends of my husbands and vice vera! I think as long as nothing romantic has been there then yes it is possible!

korra2013
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Sure it is. However it depends on how strong your relationship is. For example if my partner has ever cheated then I would never be ok with him having female friends and vice versa. Honestly though I'm the type of woman that would never be ok with. It's one thing to be co workers, it's another to have someone texting you at home. There are certain lines you just don't cross
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Neither one of us have friends we text or talk to (on the phone or face to face)of the opposite sex. I have a guy friend who I met online the same time I met my dh, he's one of my fb friends, and my dh has female friends he either went to uni with or worked with from England as fb friends but neither of us are worried and neither of us have long convos with any of them. I do believe they are all married.

MamaK88
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:17 PM
6 moms liked this

I can't believe this is even an issue.  

People are people.  Friends are friends.  Man, woman, gay, straight, blah, blah, blah.  

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I have my doubts on that.  At one point or another one will have feelings for the other (whether it's lust, or being sexually attracted)  If it's 2 single people. In my experience anyways.

Friends of my husband or couples, yes. 

momto3infl
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:27 PM

yes they can be friends, yes I do and so does hubby.  We have no issue and trust each other and our friends.  No never has.

2-point-doe
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Of course. I work in a male dominated field and always have. I have several very good male friends. We meet for beers every couple of months or so. DH is always welcome to come. We have also gotten ones grand daughter together with my daughter

CalicoMeezer
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:44 PM
I think so. My dh isn't jealous of other dudes and I'm not jealous of other chicks.

When I was KudMin Director if my church, the pastor and I talked and texted frequently.

The convos were ususlly like "How's Ros (my dd)? Hey I have an idea about an outreach, what do you think?" " Ros is great, still a little sniffly but back at school. I love that idea! I've got a friend whose band could play for us! Erin (my dh) will be able to do a blog post anout it and we'll blitz the media. Tell Vicky (his dw) to hang in there, vacation's coming soon!"

My dh and his dw used to joke about hating it when we texted…not because of anything hinky, but it meant a new project and more work for them was coming! Lol
Vmiller2008
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Yes
Sissi30
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
There are so many factors here that cant be accounted for. I think it depends on the relationship.my SO has a female friend from work they are friends and do text. It dont bother me though. I know her and do not find her a threat at all. She is even attractive, however I would not be ok with it if I did nit know this women
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN