Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What Was Your Biggest At Home Beauty Catastophe?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM
  • 10 Replies

Beauty Confessions: My Home Bikini Wax Ended in Disaster

by Rebecca Stokes

catThere are some beauty procedures that are loads of fun to do at home. Giving yourself a spa pedicure, for one. Even the more complicated things like at home highlights can be relaxing if you manage not to totally botch it. But there are some things you should absolutely leave to the professionals. This is something I am unhappy to report, that I am all too familiar with -- and I've got the literal scars to prove it.

I'm not a very hairy person. I've got fair skin and fair hair and it's all sensitive. Don't believe me? I've got the lack-of-eyebrows to prove it. Seriously, it's like I've got some sort of eyebrow shedding disorder. It's a shame, too, because I've longed to go have my face-hair tended to -- there just isn't enough of it to allow for this luxury and rite of womanly passage.

While I can pretend I'm normal and fill in my eyebrows to Brooke-Shields proportions there are other areas of my body where I definitely can't fake it. My bikini area is one of them. I'll be real -- I rock a full on '70s bush. Well, less bush more tumble-weed. Frankly, there's not enough happening there to put it through all the paces that most of the women I know go through. On the rare day I'll be donning a bathing suit, it's shaving or nothing at all.

On my twenty-fifth birthday, I decided that in spite of not really needing to do it, I'd get a bikini wax. You know how thirteen year old girls who don't need them are always very excited about training bras? Yeah, it was like that. Only with wax. Poorly applied to my front-bottom. That's right -- my cheap, ignorant behind was idiotic enough to try and wax my own bikini area for the first time at home solo with no experience. 

I don't really know what I was thinking. Maybe it had something to do with looking my best for my birthday? Maybe there was a dude I was hoping to trick into joining me in my sensual love palace? Maybe I had gotten it into my head that having a pubic area that resembled Mr. Bigglesworth would surely make me feel sexy? 

Whatever way you slice it -- the whole venture was ill-advised. Because, while the application was comical if painless, the removal of those little strips was like a straight-up snuff film. In addition to yanking out my more little hairs, I also managed to take off the top layer of skin. My nerves shriek thinking about it even now. There will be blood, indeed.

I had to trundle off to my birthday party high on pain-pills and wearing an over-night maxi-pad to staunch the flow of blood. I didn't faint, but I came close. Verily, not one birthday girl got lucky that night. Suffice to say I learned my lesson. I'll never try at-home privates waxing again. Hell, I probably won't try it elsewhere either. But if for some reason the madness strikes me, you can bet I'll be leaving it up to a professional.

What was your biggest at home beauty catastrophe?

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MelanieJK
by New Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Self tanner.     I was working at home for a week so figured I'd get some expensive stuff and just really go for it.     I showered,  exfoliated and carefully put it on twice a day for five days.      What I didn't do was go out in the sunlight and really look at it.      It was a horrific mess in that light.     

johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Yesterday at 8:35 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Last year I dyed my hair..and I literally burnt a layer of skin off my neck.I went to er very embarrassed!

KenneMaw
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I have always colored my hair at home, but one time, I must have gotten a bad product because my light brown hair turned out dark purple/eggplant!  It was supposed to be a light auburn color.   It was AWFUL!  The worst part was I was in sales, so I had to get my hair fixed or it would freak my customers out!   I spent a full day at the salon getting all color removed from my hair and then the proper color added back on.  My hair was about mid-back in lenght and I refused to let them cut it. They stylist did an amazing job, but it cost me about $300.  It was a nightmare!

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Trim my own eyebrows....should have left well enough alone.

Mrseoc
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:22 PM

haha. I never tried one of those scary things like wax strips.

but once i tried a homemade spiced milk face mask. I used too much cinnamon and burned my face. I was bright red for at least an hour. Luckily i didnt need to go anywhere.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Thankfully I don't think I've had one.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:58 PM

When I was 16 my Mom's best friend dyed my hair and that turned out okay. It's when the roots started to come in. I decided to go to store and get hair dye and do it myself. I had my boyfriend help. My hair turned Purple.

My Mom was very upset. The purple tint finally came out after many washes. Then I just had jet black hair for a few months until my natural color came back. 28 yrs later and I have not yet to dye my hair.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM

at 14, I decided I was gonna dye my hair black (I was dark blond) I spent the weekend at my friends wash and bought one of those "washes out in 8 shampoos" well what do ya know ? it doesn't wash away if you shampoo 8 times in a row !!  so I came home with Jet black hair and it lasted at least 8 weeks.  Being fair and virgin hair the color grasped on for dear life and even after the black washed away my hair was still dark brown, then lighter brown it took for EVER for my natural hair color to come back.  

For about a year or two of my life I was a hair dresser and let me tell you, I've seen my fair share of disasters.  Burnt hair, chemical burns of scalps, green hair, fried hair, half the color didn't take...   Hair coloring is really something you shouldn't mess with at home.  + the stuff they sell to the general population at say, your local drugstore is NOT the same thing they sell in salons. 

johnny4ever
Beautiful day!
Yesterday at 8:35 AM
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 13, 2014 at 6:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Lucky you!

Quoting goddess99:

Thankfully I don't think I've had one.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 6:39 AM
Thankfully, I don't have one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)