Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Traveling Route 66

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM
  • 13 Replies

We will be taking a road trip this summer from upstate NY to the Grand Canyon!!!

I am hoping to take Historic Route 66 for as long of the trip as possible.

Does anyone have any "don't miss" attractions or tips or pointers for us along the way?

FYI: we will be traveling with 4 of our 5 boys whos ages at the time will be 17, 9 & twin 8 year olds. We will also be hauling our travel trailer so if anyone knows of any good camping spots along the way ;)

Thanks ladies!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyTo5Boys
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM

bump

kzoboe
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 10:33 PM
2 moms liked this

May I come too?

See the Petrified Forest also.

Have fun!

celestegood
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 6:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Have fun!!!!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kzoboe
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Just re-read your post, and I relized I only mentioned something near the Grand Canyon.  (relatively speaking)

I forgot about the fun stuff between upstate NY and the west!

I don't know what part of upstate NY you are in, but we loved the Finger Lakes area and Letchworth State Park.  Those might be too close for a first-night-out stop though.

Also I don't know your route....if you pass through Cleveland OH you can see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (expensive--I've never been, partly because of that) and a bunch of nice museums.  I forget whether they still have the submarine at the pier, you can tour it.

Before you get to Cleveland, you might pass through Ashtabula County, OH, where I live.  We have tons of covered bridges, I believe we have the longest and maybe the shortest in the US, but I am not sure (big festival in the fall).

If you go south on I-77 to Dover OH, you can visit the museum of master carver Ernst "Mooney" Warther (I think that is how his last name is spelled.  He carved amazingly intricate models of trains, steam engines, a tree made of pliers (too hard to describe in a short time); his wife collected buttons and they have her collection (inckudes a button from Mary Todd Lincoln's wedding dress, I think).  They also sell excellent knives on site

There are beautiful state parks --with campsites at some of them-- in the southeastern portion of the state, such as Lake Hope, Hocking Hills, Ash Cave (my favorite), Old Man's Cave, Conkle's Hollow, Rock House.

Also in Vinton County (near the above) there is (or was, some years ago we stayed there) a hotel made to look like a castle.  The dining room looks like it was in an old English manor house.

Ohio also has Amish settlements, near places like Sugar Creek,  and Charm.

Coshocton OH is an old canal town (Ohio & Erie Canal).  You can still see remnants of the canal and ride on a canal boat.

If, however, you choose to head straight out on the Ohio turnpike, which becomes "The Toll Road"  (I'm serious, that's what they call it) in Indiana, you can stop in the Studebaker museum in South Bend.  There is also an Amish area near Shipshewana (east of South Bend).  Elkhart, IN also east of South Bend but not as far east as Shipshe (Yep, short for Shipshewana), is known as the RV capital of the world because so many are made there.  I think they now have a museum about RVs.

Oh, also in South Bend (I hope they still have it; when we lived there a long time ago they did), there is something called "The East Race" which is a man-made whitewater rapid.  Really FUN!  people bring their own kayaks or use inner tubes provided. (They can shut off the water--actually, stop diverting it from the river through the "Race" if needed, we saw them do it once when someone lost his glassses in the water).

Notre Dame University is also there, you can see the "Touchdown Jesus" that you may have seen on televised football games....

Again, not knowing your route, there is tons of stuff to do in Chicago....the Arch in St. Louis....Mark Twain's boyhood home somewhere along the Mississippi (Hannibal, MO, perhaps?)

I think in Cairo (pronounced cay-row, I have been told) IL there is a place where you can see the Ohio River emptying into the Mississippi.  It is worth finding a place to just look at the Mississippi, it is breath-taking

Graceland (Elvis' place)......

Cedar Point, near Sandusky OH, great amusement park, right on Lake Erie

Waldameer Park in Erie PA, ditto, ditto

So I caved and got out the road atlas, wanting to see exactly where Route 66 goes (having forgotten), and dang, I can't find it!  probably due to my crummy eyesight as much as anything else...I was going to look and see what else it came close to.

In 2007 I drove with my 2 sons to southwest Arkansas, and AAA had pretty decent directories of campsites.  I don't remember if they were free, I think there was a nominal cost.  We didn't camp every night.  If you find yourself near Hot Springs, AR, that is worth seeing.  Save containers, there are springs where you can fill your water jugs, canteens, etc for free.   Bill Cliinton was born in Hope, AR, not terribly far from Hot Springs (he lived in Hot Springs too for awhile).

sorry I can't be more sure if any of this stuff is near where you are going to be!  But there will be other vaations, right?  Right!! ;-)

I hope you will let us know how it went, and what you especially liked!

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 15, 2014 at 6:44 AM
Amish Country is perfect!So relaxing.I live in Ohio.So many museums and sites!

Quoting kzoboe:

Just re-read your post, and I relized I only mentioned something near the Grand Canyon.  (relatively speaking)

I don't know what part of upstate NY you are in, but we loved the Finger Lakes area and Letchworth State Park.  Those might be too close for a first-night-out stop though.

Also I don't know your route....if you pass through Cleveland OH you can see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (expensive--I've never been, partly because of that) and a bunch of nice museums.  I forget whether they still have the submarine at the pier, you can tour it.

Before you get to Cleveland, you might pass through Ashtabula County, OH, where I live.  We have tons of covered bridges, I believe we have the longest and maybe the shortest in the US, but I am not sure (big festival in the fall).

If you go south on I-77 to Dover OH, you can visit the museum of master carver Ernst "Mooney" Warther (I think that is how his last name is spelled.  He carved amazingly intricate models of trains, steam engines, a tree made of pliers (too hard to describe in a short time); his wife collected buttons and they have her collection (inckudes a button from Mary Todd Lincoln's wedding dress, I think).  They also sell excellent knives on site

There are beautiful state parks --with campsites at some of them-- in the southeastern portion of the state, such as Lake Hope, Hocking Hills, Ash Cave (my favorite), Old Man's Cave, Conkle's Hollow, Rock House.

Also in Vinton County (near the above) there is (or was, some years ago we stayed there) a hotel made to look like a castle.  The dining room looks like it was in an old English manor house.

Coshocton OH is an old canal town (Ohio & Erie Canal).  You can still see remnants of the canal and ride on a canal boat.

If, however, you choose to head straight out on the Ohio turnpike, which becomes "The Toll Road"  (I'm serious, that's what they call it) in Indiana, you can stop in the Studebaker museum in South Bend.  There is also an Amish area near Shipshewana (east of South Bend).  Elkhart, IN also east of South Bend but not as far east as Shipshe (Yep, short for Shipshewana), is known as the RV capital of the world because so many are made there.  I think they now have a museum about RVs.

Oh, also in South Bend (I hope they still have it; when we lived there a long time ago they did), there is something called "The East Race" which is a man-made whitewater rapid.  Really FUN!  people bring their own kayaks or use inner tubes provided. (They can shut off the water--actually, stop diverting it from the river through the "Race" if needed, we saw them do it once when someone lost his glassses in the water).

Notre Dame University is also there, you can see the "Touchdown Jesus" that you may have seen on televised football games....

Again, not knowing your route, there is tons of stuff to do in Chicago....the Arch in St. Louis....Mark Twain's boyhood home somewhere along the Mississippi (Hannibal, MO, perhaps?)

I think in Cairo (pronounced cay-row, I have been told) IL there is a place where you can see the Ohio River emptying into the Mississippi.  It is worth finding a place to just look at the Mississippi, it is breath-taking

So I caved and got out the road atlas, wanting to see exactly where Route 66 goes (having forgotten), and dang, I can't find it!  probably due to my crummy eyesight as much as anything else...I was going to look and see what else it came close to.

In 2007 I drove with my 2 sons to southwest Arkansas, and AAA had pretty decent directories of campsites.  I don't remember if they were free, I think there was a nominal cost.  We didn't camp every night.  If you find yourself near Hot Springs, AR, that is worth seeing.  Save containers, there are springs where you can fill your water jugs, canteens, etc for free.   Bill Cliinton was born in Hope, AR, not terribly far from Hot Springs (he lived in Hot Springs too for awhile).

sorry I can't be more sure if any of this stuff is near where you are going to be!  But there will be other vaations, right?  Right!! ;-)

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Have fun!!

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Part of Route 66 runs through my city (Amarillo, TX), though I haven't paid enough attention to notice if there's anything specific to see, however there is this link you can gander at: http://amarillo66.com/

Some of Radiator Springs (Disney Pixar's Cars), which takes place along Route 66 is partially based on some of Amarillo and surrounding towns. http://route66news.com/2006/05/02/another-look-at-radiator-springs/

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jan. 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Have fun!!!

MommyTo5Boys
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Wow that is a lot of very awesome information!! Thank you so very much. I am going to look more closely at this and do some investigating on the these when I get a spare second! Thank you so much for you're response! 

And Route 66 technically does not exist anymore, that's prob why you couldn't find it on the map. They are only portions of it left and only some are paved :( 

Quoting kzoboe:

MommyTo5Boys
by Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 5:35 PM

That's awesome, I didn't know that!! The kids will love knowing that that's for sure :)

Quoting thatgirl70:

Part of Route 66 runs through my city (Amarillo, TX), though I haven't paid enough attention to notice if there's anything specific to see, however there is this link you can gander at: http://amarillo66.com/

Some of Radiator Springs (Disney Pixar's Cars), which takes place along Route 66 is partially based on some of Amarillo and surrounding towns. http://route66news.com/2006/05/02/another-look-at-radiator-springs/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)