Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

2-Year-Old Found Wandering in Woods Clutching His Mom's Suicide Note

2-Year-Old Found Wandering in Woods Clutching His Mom's Suicide Note

by Jeanne Sager

Katie HalbertHere's a good reminder that the choices we make are not made in a vaccuum -- they're bound to affect the ones around us. A young Alabama mom is in jail, and her 2-year-old is in the foster system after the toddler was found wandering in the woods. In his hands? His mother's suicide note!

Now obviously Katie Halbert is alive -- or she wouldn't be facing misdemeanor charges here. And thank goodness for it. Suicide is never the answer. But then, neither is allowing a toddler to wander around the woods just because you're having a tough time.

I don't want to sound unsympathetic about Halbert's plight here. Being suicidal is no laughing matter. I hope she gets the help she needs -- for her sake and for her son's.

But I'm getting a little tired of parents putting their kids in danger because of their own personal problems. Look at the dad charged this week with attempted murder after he allegedly threw his 2-year-old off a motel balcony. Cops said he'd called the boy's mom and asked her to come home because he was frustrated. When she couldn't, cops say he threw the kid over the balcony, and then jumped. Again ... putting the child in danger because he was too wrapped up in his own issues.

In Halbert's case, she doesn't seem to have called anyone at all. It was when the child was found in the woods with mom's note that police were called to look for her. When they did find her, cops charged her with third degree domestic violence/reckless endangerment.

The thing is, when you have a child -- whether it's your own or one you are simply caring for at the moment -- you don't get to put yourself first anymore. You took on the mantle of being the responsible adult. You OWE it to that child to be there for them, to keep them safe because they can't do it themselves.

If you can't keep a child safe, you shouldn't be in charge of them. Period. And if you don't hand the child over to someone who can keep them safe, well ... expect to land in jail.

Do you have any sympathy for this mom?

What do you think should be done with her?

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 11:43 AM
Replies (11-16):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Amen!

Quoting Pammi86:

She needs help and that might lead to why her child was wondering around! I just wish more people would pay attention to their kids and how do people close to her not see warnings!?

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I agree!

Quoting celestegood: I don't think she was in control of her actions. Obviously, mental health issues such as depression affect your actions and thought processes. We don't know the things this mom was going through.
I think this is terrible, and more terrible that she didn't seek help (presumably) for her issues before it got to this point.
At any rate, thank goodness that little boy is ok.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Wow, what a terrible thing to do to a little boy : (

Mel0dy
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 12:18 PM

thats so sad 

korra2013
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 12:21 PM
I've been down and out but have never put my child in any danger
mindful23
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 4:34 AM
Poor child. Wheres the rest of his family. Are they all dysfunctional too... maybe just as well his in a safer place. Havent got anything good to say about the mom though. Just horrible
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)