Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Having only one child is selfish!

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:14 PM
  • 271 Replies
8 moms liked this

A co worker told me this today. So I only have one dd.  She has an Autism Spectrum Disorder but is very high functioning.  DH and I have decided we only want the one, we decided that when she was about 1.  A co-worker of mine told me that its selfish of me to not give her another sibling.  I think having a child I don't want would be worse.  Am I the only one that doesn't see a problem with only having one child?

Updated:  Wow a featured post that has never happened to me before.  Thanks for all the kind words.  there are so few people in this area that only have one child that i was starting to feel like i was the only one who only wanted one, its nice to see that i'm not the only one who is happy with my decision.

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
Having a great birthday!
Friday at 4:52 PM
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:20 PM
9 moms liked this
Our only is 10.We have always loved it just us 3.My son gets a lot of attention from us and we are a close family.Plus it is cheaper for us as a family of 3.
poshkat
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:23 PM
3 moms liked this
Our only will be 7 next week. We have had the same comments thrown at us, as well as comments such as "you never know..." or "when's the next one coming?" With a nudge.

Just ignore them . It's non of their business anyway
HaileysMom07180
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:24 PM
3 moms liked this

dh and i are both only children (only i have twin siblings that were born 6 days before dd was).  I was never sad or felt like i had my childhood "robbed of" like she is saying dd feels.  dd says she doesn't want a brother or sister, there was a time about a year ago where she was asking for me to have a baby, then we babysat a baby and she hated it because a baby couldn't play like her friends could and her friends had to go home during naptime and so on so forth.  i've heard people that didn't understand my lack of desire for more kids, but i've never met someone who felt it was the duty of a mother to have more than one, to me that seems odd

Quoting johnny4ever: Our only is 10.We have always loved it just us 3.My son gets a lot of attention from us and we are a close family.Plus it is cheaper for us as a family of 3.

johnny4ever
Having a great birthday!
Friday at 4:52 PM
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:28 PM
My hubby is a only also.We have more family time.I find having one is easier compared to my friends who have 2-5 kids.

Quoting HaileysMom07180:

dh and i are both only children (only i have twin siblings that were born 6 days before dd was).  I was never sad or felt like i had my childhood "robbed of" like she is saying dd feels.  dd says she doesn't want a brother or sister, there was a time about a year ago where she was asking for me to have a baby, then we babysat a baby and she hated it because a baby couldn't play like her friends could and her friends had to go home during naptime and so on so forth.  i've heard people that didn't understand my lack of desire for more kids, but i've never met someone who felt it was the duty of a mother to have more than one, to me that seems odd

Quoting johnny4ever: Our only is 10.We have always loved it just us 3.My son gets a lot of attention from us and we are a close family.Plus it is cheaper for us as a family of 3.

grownsexy
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:33 PM
3 moms liked this

Sometimes I wish that I only had one. Don't get me wrong I love my children. I am just the type that would have love to give the attention to one child. I personally don't see anything wrong with having one child. It is so much better than having many that you couldn't afford.

HaileysMom07180
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:34 PM
2 moms liked this

well and with us, we really can't afford another one, its hard for her to understand because her fiance makes $350,000 and year and they have 3 kids.  she makes my paychecks, she knows how much i make y doesn't she understand how we can only afford the one

Quoting grownsexy:

Sometimes I wish that I only had one. Don't get me wrong I love my children. I am just the type that would have love to give the attention to one child. I personally don't see anything wrong with having one child. It is so much better than having many that you couldn't afford.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:43 PM
3 moms liked this

I have one and that's perfect for me.

fire86
by New Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Our only is 2 and a half and we love it just being us 3, I occassionally have the longing for another then I think about all the work babies are and i'm good.

KW1280
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:55 PM
9 moms liked this
It is your uterus. I really dislike when people but in where they don't belong
Jenn8604
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:58 PM
4 moms liked this
I would have said "Yep, I am. I want to spend all my time with just one baby. Got a problem with it? Have your attorney call my attorney. "
I am done at one. I am single and will be for the rest of my life. I don't put up with men's BS!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)