Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Update: The system failed that little girl!!

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:38 PM
  • 9 Replies
Ok so this is a little bit of a long story but ill try to make it short. I have been with my kids father for 9 years. He has a sister and 6 years ago she had a little girl. Well ever since the little girl was born i have been witnessing her abuse. Her mom is a drug addict, thief, compulsive liar and many more things. Well i first starting calling DCF when she was 2 because her mother would leave her at my inlaws for hours at a time to get high then she would get home unable to take care of her child. She ended up moving out because she thought my mother in law called DCF. We heard the worker came around and after a month closed the case because she felt there was no problem even though they were homeless and going from house to house. About a year after that I called again because the little girl went up to my inlaws house was playing and when we went in the living room she had a Barbie doll in between her legs with her pants and underwear down sleeping. I called DCF then also and a worker was sent out, sent the mom to a drug program and when she finished 6weeks later closed the case. And played the recording of my call to the mother causing her to not let us see the child. Well about 6 months ago I was allowed to bring the child to my home to play with her cousins (which the mom okayed). The little girl told me that where she was staying (which is the 14th home the child has lived in) there was a lady that was touching her in her private area but mommy said it was ok because if they had to leave that house they would have nowhere to live. So again I called DCF they investigated and almost took the child away and decided not to because my FIL was there and he was too scared to say the truth and told them she was a great mother and this would never had happened so again the case was closed. I deffenetly let him have it. Also several of the people she has lived with have also called because she had no job and could not provide for the child, was bringing men in and out to support her drug habit and on one occasion lost her child outside because she didn't know she went outside. The school has also called DCF because the girls clothes were disgusting and once she went to open her book bag and 3 roaches fell out. Well this past Monday her mother dropped her of at school with a fever and with an ear infection. The nurse could not get a hold of her mother so they called my in-laws. They went and picked her up and the child was in pain crying so my MIL called DCF and they told her to take the child to the ER and they would send someone out the next day because the situation wasn't an emergency. The ER finally got a hold of her(only because she had been there the week before with the little girl for pneumonia) so instead of coming down she called my MIL and told her to call her when they got out. Well after that she left her at my in-laws for 3 days (which was probably for the best anyway) and came to get her when she found out that DCF was looking for her again saying it was us who called and that we would never the little girl again. I don't know what else to do. I feel like the very people that are suppose to protect her have failed her. I also let my in-laws have it because they could of done something about this year's ago. I rather see that girl with foster parents then her own mother. If anyone has been through or seen a situation like this please give me some advice I don't know what else to do.

Update: My MIL called me today to let me know that the DCF worker contacted her yesterday to advice her that she should attend some foster parent parenting classes and be prepared to take custody of the child for 'the long haul'. I don't know what that means but I told her ill take the classes with her also. Im not sure that we should get our hopes up but its a step closer and we've never had a worker contact us like this.
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Do you know where the little girl is? I would call the police and tell them all this. I would contact a lawyer and tell them all this. I would not let it go. Good luck, I hope someone who can make a difference will help you!

MMIC
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:42 AM
Paper trails. Make a police report after every time you see the little girl. Dfcs can't really do anything if the girl has her basic needs met. Document everything. Record the little girl when she talks to you. Ask dfcs for a forensic interview on the little girl. Good luck hun.
stormystar15
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Omg that's horrible. I dont know what else you could do except go to the cops. When she was molested did yall take her to the hospital to have a record of it? It seems as if dcf doesn't care that the little girl is being abused and thats very sad. She should have been taken away long ago. My only experience was with cps and my ex's kids. Their mother's house was always a mess, his son was 3 and never had any type of therapy to help him speak, and when we picked him up for Christmas break he had acute respiratory
distress and had to have a over night stay at the hospital because we were afraid he would quit breathing while he was asleep. They did nothing always called her before they went out to do a look so she was able to clean up. Since we couldn't prove how long his son had the respiratory issues although we were questioned by the social workers there how long and why we didn't bring him in sooner.
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Dont give up.You have done alot.What does your Hubby say?

AngelGodess1312
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Hes helped me every step along the way so he is just beyond frustrated he dosent what else to do either.

Quoting johnny4ever:

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 18, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Pray for positive outcome

Quoting AngelGodess1312: Hes helped me every step along the way so he is just beyond frustrated he dosent what else to do either.

Quoting johnny4ever:

Bribriesmom
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 8:42 AM
I've seen both sides of DCFS, addiction and the affects being in a foster home has on a child. Like someone said, document everything, if the girl is being molested, why didn't you call the police? I've supported some of my client's to get their children back and some I couldn't write positive progress reports because there were no changes. Good luck, my heart is breaking for the little girl because she will need counseling because of all the trauma she is going through.
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 19, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Please keep us updated

celestegood
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 11:44 AM
No advice but fight for her. Don't give up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN