Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Dressing My Kids

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM
  • 25 Replies

I like to dress my kids in nice clothes. Gap, patagonia, sperrys, uggs, etc. I think it makes them look adorable and they've never minded me dressing them in this way. Recently, however, my four year old son has been fussing about it and wants to wear clothes that he picks out for himself, which unfortunately does not include the nice clothes I have bought for him. I guess my question is, does it make me a bad mom if I still pick out his outfits for him so that he will still look like the world's best dressed toddler, even though he doesn't like it?

by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MichelleMc
by on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

If he doesn't like it & you are forcing him to wear these clothes all the time, not just important events, I don't agree with it. There is no need for him to be "putting on airs" all the time. No need at all. He is 4 years old. Let him enjoy life, have fun & wear what he wants. ( with in some reason, like no going out in his undies & swimming fins )If it is an important event, then "fight the battle". It sounds more like you want to look like the rocking mom with the winning outfits & the best dressed kids, that shouldn't be the way it is. 

CalicoMeezer
by Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

And sorry, my child will never wear Uggs. Ever. She is total agreement with me on this.

Quoting MichelleMc:

If he doesn't like it & you are forcing him to wear these clothes all the time, not just important events, I don't agree with it. There is no need for him to be "putting on airs" all the time. No need at all. He is 4 years old. Let him enjoy life, have fun & wear what he wants. ( with in some reason, like no going out in his undies & swimming fins )If it is an important event, then "fight the battle". It sounds more like you want to look like the rocking mom with the winning outfits & the best dressed kids, that shouldn't be the way it is. 

celestegood
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Honestly you should try to give him choices. Let him choose between two shirts, etc. that way he still matches and looks nice and gets the independence he soneeds.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 2:38 AM

He may be only 4 but he deserves choices and whether its expensive crap or walmart crap, he doesn't care and niether does anyone else. Take that kid to walmart and let him pick out some Garanimals mix and match clothes. They have cute colors and charecters. I buy my girls a few reasonable priced name brands when i can but only if the like them. Mainly shoes that i get from the clearence sections online. My 5 yr old approves alot of what i pick out because I want her to be happy and comfy. I have never even heard of patagonia or sperrys

bcauseimthemom
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:35 AM
2 moms liked this

It is a bit selfish. If he wants to pick out his clothes....let him. Tell him that he wears what you want him to if you guys are doing something special but otherwise, is it really worth upsetting your child to fulfill your need to dress him as if he is your living doll?

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I must agree with other posters. My first thought was " they aren't dolls"
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:46 AM

I have a strange reply alot of times my 10 year old son wants to get his clothes....I think he is just being lazy!

Bobbyjade
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 8:02 AM
Agree let him choose

Quoting bcauseimthemom:

It is a bit selfish. If he wants to pick out his clothes....let him. Tell him that he wears what you want him to if you guys are doing something special but otherwise, is it really worth upsetting your child to fulfill your need to dress him as if he is your living doll?

Bribriesmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 8:17 AM
Exactly, I pick a couple of outfits and let my daughter choose what she wants to wear. She has a few designer labels, but that was for my friends and family who bought them. I get my daughter's clothes at Children's Place, Burlington, Ross, on Ebay and Target. I've even scored new designer clothes at Thrift Stores when I've donated her clothes. Let him choose and put him in clothes he can mess up or PETA won't be at your door.

Quoting celestegood: Honestly you should try to give him choices. Let him choose between two shirts, etc. that way he still matches and looks nice and gets the independence he soneeds.
12yrmama
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 9:50 AM

We have play clothes and nicer school clothes. But they still get to choose. Giving two choices are best at that age.

Pick your battles, you don't need rebellion this early.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)