Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

help . me.

Posted by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:04 AM
  • 25 Replies
I know it's a normal tot phase. I do, I get it.

For the love of all that is good and holy, how do I get through this sudden fear of monsters???

No. He does not watch anything inappropriate for his age. The only time he's heard the WORD "monster " except" for Monsters Inc. ( he 'a three)

No. No one threatens him with a boogeyman or any type of cruel threats regarding imaginary creatures that go bump in the night,

I have the outside environment fears under control. He knows monsters just aren't allowed in our house . Like bugs. He knows that I just won't ALLOW " them" in my house. I say this in an authoritative voice. We have Monster Spray
( half water half fabreeze in a spray bottle)

What I CAN NOT CONTROL is his " imagination station" every night for a over a week, he has awakened screaming his head of from a nightmare involving a monster.

This can happen any time in the night. Now I can quickly get him back to sleep, a calm word some water and down he goes, but them I'm up from adrenaline as I suffer from insomnia anyway.

I'd guesstimate I've had 14 hrs. sleep in the past 8 days.

He 's not a newborn so no " welcome to motherhood " replies, please.

I'm not going to tell him there are no such thing as monsters because I know, right now for him, there are. To him it is not an irrational fear.
Heck! To ME, they aren 't am irrational fear because " they" wake me up every night! :'-(

I just need to know if there is anything I 'm NOT doing that could help and / or how long this phase lasts? My older son did not suffer from nightmares and he's 14 so I am at a loss as to how to help him feel secure enough that I can get a full night's sleep so that oh, idk I could be a NICER person in general?

I am so very tired.
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:05 AM
Bump
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:05 AM
Bump
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:48 AM

My son is 10 and still gets afraid of the dark...

Bobbyjade
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:56 AM
I'm 19 and I still won't sleep with a cupboard or wardrobe in my room because I kept having dreams about the bogeyman I've been like since I was little I wasn't scared as a child I've spoken to therapist the lot but nothing worked fingers crossed it gets better for you x
goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 19, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Hmm I was going to recommend Monster Spray but you already tried that. Idk, I'll have to think.

Decemberlov
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 2:14 PM
when dd was little she was terrified of the queen from snow white. she would have nightmares all the time about her. I had her draw a picture of her and we tore it up, stomped on it and threw it in the trash. magically that worked and the nightmares stopped lol
CampClan
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Have you tried "Monster Spray"? I saw it on Pinterest.... you make a special "spray" with your child that will repell monsters. Let me see if I can find the link... I will edit if I do!

ETA: Here's the link

http://www.happygoluckyblog.com/2011/06/monster-spray.html

Kay300
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:13 PM

What about a night lite, use extra covers for the Warm Hug Effect, also, try running a small fan in the room for white noise, just put the fan not facing him or anything so he doesn't get cold.....  ---   I really hope you will try all 3 suggestions all at the same time, Hopefully tonite...  I'm older with more experience with children.

Roo1234
by Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
How active is he in "battling" his monsters? Is he a passive participant, or are you guiding him to take charge? It is really important that you let him decide how to make/jeep the masters away and that he is the one who does it. Comfort him, etc.don't "abandon"him, but if you empower him to solve the problem it will go away much faster
gavs4boys
by on Jan. 19, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Lavender water in a spray bottle.  Spray the scary spots in his room and let him know it's a special spay that keeps them out of his room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN