Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Leaving Kids In The Car

Posted by   + Show Post

So this has been a hot topic everywhere, here, online, etc! I just can not stand the idea of leaving any child in the car unless they are of teenage age! I mean I have little ones and I do not care if I can see them from inside the store! I pay at the pump and if I HAVE to go in I haul my 2 year old dd with me and get the baby out of the pumpkin seat and do it! I usually will go to a fast food joint if I am after drinks and snacks, like McDonalds has apples and chocolate milk which is a great choice for my dd and I do not have to take her out and I get a sweet tea! Less than $4 and done! I think there are always options! And personally I see no excuse bc you NEVER know what could happen! : /

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Replies (31-40):
PAmommy32
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

The only time I leave my kids in the car is at the cleaners.  The parking is right by the building and has a window for one of the walls where I am 15 feet away looking through the window and I am gone for 3 minutes.  I also lock the doors and the children are buckled in so they can't reach controls.  In general I don't think children should be left in cars but there are exceptions for everything.  I think parents should use good judgement.

country38
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I have for maybe 5 minutes , like when i go into a liqueur store , kids not allowed in liqueur store i lock door , but that only happend  twice in last 5 or six years i don't go to liqueur store often.Parents do alot of unsafe stuff at times like drink and drive i don't drink and drive,or speed while driving, or smoke cigs around my kids, so their alot of examples.

pippi311
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I do not leave my kids in the car very often, but there has been a couple occasions where I found it acceptable. Once when I had to get something very quickly at a gas station, parked the car where I could see it from the counter the whole time, doors locked, tinted windows, was in and out in about one minute literally. One other time I needed one item from the grocery store for dinner that night but on the way there the kids both fell asleep in their carseats. Since they were both asleep and buckled in their seats, my windows are tinted and it was getting dark outside, I decided I would lock the doors and run in very quickly, rather than wake them up and drag cranky tired kids in the store for a 2 minute trip. It worked out well, it only took a couple minutes.

I do not make a habit of doing this, and would never do this if I knew I would be gone longer than a couple minutes or if it was extremely hot outside.

Scarpetta71
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

No excuse for it.

Corina1987
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:46 PM
I agree. When I was a pre school teacher I would see parents leave their baby's in the car as they got their older kid and their things. I sent a note to the parents telling them this wasn't safe but they still did it. Many years ago I heard a story of a woman who went in a bank quick. She caught someone trying to steal her car with her baby inside as she got out. She opened the door and started taking the baby out. They drove and the baby ended up falling out the car and dying. That sad story made me vow to never do that.
Corina1987
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:47 PM
Kids can go in liqueur stores with a parent

Quoting country38:

I have for maybe 5 minutes , like when i go into a liqueur store , kids not allowed in liqueur store i lock door , but that only happend  twice in last 5 or six years i don't go to liqueur store often.Parents do alot of unsafe stuff at times like drink and drive i don't drink and drive,or speed while driving, or smoke cigs around my kids, so their alot of examples.

mommy2girls0506
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 5:21 PM

With older kids like you said teens I could see it possibly depending on how long and such.  But yea with little kids never.  I have had to wake my infant sleeping daughter before which we all know we HATE doing but you know what I did it and I would do it a million times over cause leaving her in the car just was NOT an option.

momof4kids257
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:02 PM

At one time I had 3 in diapers and went thru double strollers like crazy. We only had 1 car and I walked everywhere with 3 kids. I would line up the baby in the back  and seat the 2 boys in front of her.I had to walk on a 2 lane road as there were no sidewalks and go to grocery and such. I remember one time walking in the mall with my spouse all 3 were in the stroller happy as could be and my spouse went off to look at something and while I was standing out of the way waiting for him..someone had the nerve to tell me I should have controlled myself and stuck to one child!   talk about angry...oooh still makes me mad 25 yrs later. I now have 4 beautiful children and wouldn't trade a one of them for nothing.They are beautiful gifts given to us to care for carefully.I never left any of my kids in the car-I wouldn't leave my dog in the car why would I leave a child!!I cannot understand how people think sometimes.It's as bad as hearing that baby crying in Walmart and the parent screaming at the poor thing-I always have to restrain myself from helping this stressed out parent .

Quoting Pammi86:

People just do not get that it only takes a second! I get crap bc my 2 1/2 year old is always put in the cart/stroller with my 7 month old! I think she is too small to be walking out in public! Even when dh is with me! It does not matter if I am holding her hand bc it only takes a second for someone to grab her and at places like the Zoo distraction is constant! I will let my dh take her out to look at animals but I always strap her back in until we get to the next exhibit!

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Your right! There is no exuse! I live in a small town and i the gas station in my town is small and from the car to the inside and checkout counter its about 13 feet away litterally where you can see and there is no way in heck that im gonna leave my kids in the car. Poeple are so dumb.

butterfly227
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:46 PM

I saw a baby left in a running car. The mother went into a restraunt and could not even see out the window.

I waited till she came out, I was afraid someone could take the car and drive off or something happening to the baby.

After 10 mins I called the police. 10 mins later she came out with bags of food, got in her car and left.

I tried telling her how dangerous it was to do that but she didn't speak English.

Chelsey191
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:51 PM
I leave my 5 yo in the car for 3 minutes, 10 ft away to run in the gas station. I lock the doors and remote start it. It won't go anywhere without the key, he doesn't freak out, he prefers to stay in the car actually. I can see him the whole time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN