Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Age gap

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM
  • 25 Replies

Our family is preparing to start trying for baby number two (we want many). I thought i'd be ready by now but i'm not. My DD is going to be 2 in March, and i would miss what we have together too much, so were waiting a bit longer. 

My question to you all is how old was your first when you had your second?

How did your oldest child take it?

If you have 3 or more kids, are the younger ones closer in age?

Was it an easier transition from 2 kids to 3 kids... than it was to transition from 1 kid to 2?

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:34 AM

I have an only..bump for others

DACIA79
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:43 AM

My question to you all is how old was your first when you had your second?

Damien was 1 yrs old when Hunter was born

How did your oldest child take it?

Damien could not stand his baby brother for almost 2 years

No the older ones are close in age. Damien was born in 2003 Hunter 2004 and Connor 2013

Was it an easier transition from 2 kids to 3 kids... than it was to transition from 1 kid to 2?

The transition for me was easier with 2 kids to 3 kids because there has been no sibling rivalry and this time on one in diapers plus the older two aren't fighting for attention. The age gap has made a huge difference.

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:59 AM
My oldest was 2 months shy of 5 when my second was born. He did fabulous with his baby sister. He was a huge help too.
I just had my 3rd and my 2nd turned 3 in September. I think this transition will be harder just because my 3 year old can be a handful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Let me add that while my oldest adored his sister when she was a baby.. as soon as she hit about 2 its been non-stop fighting. She always wants to be up his butt and he hates it. He tries to boss her around and she's not the type to take crap from anyone lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I'm no help. I have an only.

othermom
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

My older two are 2 1/2 years apart and I love it. My second and third are almost exactly 4 years apart and it worked out well.  My oldest was really happy when I had my second, we got him involved with picking out toys and clothes for the baby and helping with the baby which helped. They were both happy when we had our third

MommySchatzi
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Mine are 17 1/2 months apart. It wasn't planned to have them that close, but I prefer it this way, they can grow up together and I am sure they will be close. It was hard at first for my son, but he got used to having a sibling pretty quick. I personally think the further apart they are, the first one will be more jealous because it was just them for a long time and will take longer to get used to having a sibling.

A cousin of mine had a huge gap between her oldest daughter and her twin girls. She said her oldest was jealous for a long time because it was just her for a long time. Then having twin sisters? 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

lil_momma1411
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest was 2 weeks shy of 3. My youngest is only a month old and my oldest is very jealous they are both girls. My oldest acts out now worse then ever and says she wants to be a baby again. She is compleatly potty trained but started pottying on herself again recently.
JenGo
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 2 years and 3 weeks older than my son.

She did really well. She was excited to have a new little brother. She had a bit of separation problems right after he was born, but that had a lot to do with that I had to have him emergency c-section, so I had left her with my mom for a regular doctors appointment, told her I would see her in a few hours then never came home.
Other than that, she was never really jealous of him, or the time that he required. She is an amazing, easy going, kid. Now that both kids are a little older (They are 5 and 3 now) it is easier to have more one on one time with her, and him for that matter! haha!

You will know when it feels right to have another baby.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 1:16 PM
My question to you all is how old was your first when you had your second? Our first was five years nine months when our second was born.

How did your oldest child take it? Well. Except a sister was wanted by our oldest and we had boys. Lol

Yes. Our younger two of four are four and six. They are two years three months apart in age.

Was it an easier transition from 2 kids to 3 kids... than it was to transition from 1 kid to 2? Yes! To us it was a breeze going from one to two. But then again our first was almost six. By then they can self entertain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)