Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Because I am a foster parent

Posted by   + Show Post
Because I am a foster parent

You create your precious bundle of joy while I try to recreate a lost childhood, because I am a foster parent.

You have baby showers and well wishes while you create the perfect nursery, I wonder how to help them cope with another new bedroom, because I am a foster parent

You gaze into their eyes for the first time and feel an amazing rush of eternal love and devotion; I gaze desperately into their eyes searching for a remnant of a soul that has already weathered a terrible storm, because I am a foster parent.

You mold them and guide them day by day forming their little personalities into the amazing person that you know they will be, I pick up the pieces of a tattered being so broken that they are little more than a wild thing, because I am a foster parent.

You approach every milestone with gusto knowing that your child is the smartest child to ever walk this earth; I watch each milestone pass by hoping that they will soon catch up, because I am a foster parent.

You pray every night that the Lord will keep them safe from any harm; I pray every night that the courts don’t return them to the living hell that they have already endured, because I am a foster parent.

You teach them right from wrong by leading by example and providing endless love, I erase years of fear and teach them that love doesn’t hurt, because I am a foster parent. 

You hold your child in your arms as they drift peacefully off to sleep, I hold my child in my arms while they withdraw from whatever substance they were addicted to before they were born, because I am a foster parent. 

You pick up toys and wipe up spills while your child looks at you sheepishly and whispers “I’m sorry.” I pick up a child from the fetal position on the floor; so fearful from spilling their milk that they are shaking and silent, because I am a foster parent. 

You drop your child off for play dates and birthday parties; I drop my child off for play therapy and family visits, because I am a foster parent. 

You explain that he looks like your side of the family; I explain that if they smile they look like an angel. I said if, not when, because I am a foster parent. 

You attend dance recitals and football games cheering at the top of your lungs shouting “that’s my kid out there!!” I attend court dates and meetings praying that I don’t hear re-unification or 6 month extension whispering “please will somebody listen to me?” Because I am a foster parent

You celebrate each holiday trying to top the last, I celebrate each holiday not knowing if it’s their first and hoping it’s not their last, because I am a foster parent.

You tuck in your little ones wishing them sweet dreams, assuring that there are no monsters under the bed, I pray that they will sleep tonight knowing that they’ve already seen monsters and they weren’t under the bed, because I am a foster parent. 

You look to their futures and you see college and endless opportunity, I look to their future and see a cycle that needs to be broken before anymore damage is done, because I am a foster parent. 

You see yourself growing old with your child by your side. I wonder if they will be taken away before they know just how much I love them, because I am a foster parent. 

You smile and wave as your child grins out of the window while they travel off to summer camp for the week; wondering how you’ll sleep not knowing how they are. I smile and wave choking back the tears as their faces are pressed against the window of the county car wondering how I’ll live not knowing where they are. Because I am a foster parent

You talk with your spouse about if you want another child, not knowing if you have enough love for more than one perfect angel in your life. I answer the phone when the social worker calls and without hesitation say “YES” when they ask if I can help another angel with broken wings, because I AM a foster parent!
~JW

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:35 AM
Replies (31-33):
suziejax
by Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 7:30 PM
1 mom liked this

This was amazing!! clapping

I to want to be a foster parent and soon will be taking steps to do so! I am so excited.

Thank you for that I will be printing this out.

splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Great read, thanks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for posting! Despite what most people think a lot of foster parents are a blessing!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)