Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My son brings home his new baby today **Update**

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:30 AM
  • 42 Replies
1 mom liked this

My 16 year old will be bringing a new baby home today. He is taking Parenting classes in school and is being assigned an electronic baby today. He will have it until Monday. This should be an interesting experiment. I'm sure he will do fairly well, but I think he is in for an eye opener. I don't think he realizes just how much work goes into taking care of an infant. I almost wish they had to keep them longer just to get more of an idea of the lack of sleep.

I'm really looking at this as a form of birth control. Well, not the only one obviously!!! I just hope that this experience makes him take birth control seriously and waits until he is ready to have kids. We have already had lots of talks about it and how bc is not just the girl's responsibility.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting a glimpse into the future and getting to see what kind of Daddy he's going to be someday. 

Update: I tried to add a photo, but I am technologically challenged. He's a boy, antomically correct. It comes with two diapers, two outfits and a onsie, and a bottle that all have sensors. He's cute, kind of looks like Denzel Washington.

Anyway so far he has had a couple of issues, once he lifted the baby too high during a changing and he dropped the carseat with the baaby in it. He's done fairly well taking care of it. There are only four things you have to do for it, feed, change, burp and rock. He's already figured out that there is a different cry for each. I have only helped him out twice, once I burped him because he fussed while ds was in the shower and I held the bottle while he ranto the bathroom. It woke him up 3 times last night. 

So far it seems like a fairly realistic baby experience. It could use a few tweaks IMO, but I think it's going to get the job done.

I did have to laugh today when I saw him rocking it and he saying "SHH, it's okay". 

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:01 PM

it's a cool thing ... a good lesson to teach teenagers. 

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:03 PM

My friend (who's 40) just gave birth to a little girl over the weekend and I went to see her on Monday just before she was released from the hospital and the nurse came in and gave them a speach about Shaken Baby Syndrome and I was flabergasted when the nurse said that 1 baby out of 5 suffer from some degree of SBS !!!! That's a HUGE number ...  

nana776
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:08 PM

WOW!!! I didn't know it was that high! How can anybody do that to a sweet innocent baby? My oldest had colic and I never once felt anger towards him. I cried alot. I wonder if letting the head flop is in the realm of SBS?

Oh, and congratulations to your friend!!

Quoting Jinxed8:

My friend (who's 40) just gave birth to a little girl over the weekend and I went to see her on Monday just before she was released from the hospital and the nurse came in and gave them a speach about Shaken Baby Syndrome and I was flabergasted when the nurse said that 1 baby out of 5 suffer from some degree of SBS !!!! That's a HUGE number ...  

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:23 PM

When I went to high school we got an egg to carry around, it was fun. I would love to see what an electronic baby looks like. Could you post a picture later?

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:36 PM
It is a great lesson, however, my 14 yr old has a three yr old brother and learn a lot from pregnancy, screaming newborn, frustrated ( but sweet) infant, and now insane toddler.

I do believe that if he was given this assignment. , he bash his head into the wall!

Hahaha
virgochild79
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Ok, I remember that electronic baby from back in high school and I couldn't stand it! Of course it would be quiet all day until about 2 am. My grandfather couldn't stand the sound of it and made me take it back to school with a note saying "Do not bring back home". Yea, I ended up getting a "C" on that assignment. lol

nana776
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I'll try to post a pic, but I'm not very computer savvy!! Maybe my ds will know how. lol

Quoting goddess99:

When I went to high school we got an egg to carry around, it was fun. I would love to see what an electronic baby looks like. Could you post a picture later?

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:47 PM
I did that and it's NOTHING like a real baby. Nothing.
nana776
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Well, I hope he does ok, he has two nieces so he's used to LO's. This thing comes with an electronic bracelet that he wears to show that he is the one caring for the baby so there will be no passing it off to me (even if I would) to take care of it.

Quoting Momofmenagerie: It is a great lesson, however, my 14 yr old has a three yr old brother and learn a lot from pregnancy, screaming newborn, frustrated ( but sweet) infant, and now insane toddler.

I do believe that if he was given this assignment. , he bash his head into the wall!

Hahaha

nana776
by Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM

How was it different?

Quoting notjstanothrmom: I did that and it's NOTHING like a real baby. Nothing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)