Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Eating disorder from a 4 year old

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:03 AM
  • 7 Replies

My daughter is 4 and I am concerned that she is startign a eating disorder. She is obbsessed with not getting "fluffy".

This past year her grandmother has been trying to lose weight- she is a good sized woman and this is to benifit her health. She does not inforce a diet when my daughter comes to visit, nothing like that. Her boyfriend is also trying to lose weight right now for his health as well. He is a larger size man and this will be good for him.My daughter has even called me fluffy- I'll admit I have a pooch but I am not a large size.

I have noticed that there are nights that I am having to sit with her long after everyone is up from teh table and coax her to eat her dinner- and she'll take these small bites like mouse bites and chew and chew the same piece over and over.

Finally last night after and hour of trying to get her to eat a piece of chicken, a piece of pizza[it was pizza night} I asked her don't you like pizza? "yes mommy but I don't want to be like Papa James." James is her grand ma's boyfriend. She then took her hands and held them far out in front of her to make her tummy look big. i breathed for a moment and tried to think of how to handle this with a 4 year old.

Honestly I still want to talk to her about this but for the moment I asked her 'are you a girl?" yes"is he a boy or a man?" "old man" 'ok fair enough and are you young or old?" "silly mommy I am young!" " ok then don't you think him being older, and a man means you are less likely gonna look like him?" she took another bite of her pizza and thought about it. " I guess so." I told her not to worry about such things that she is young and that it will not happen to her to enjoy life and not worry about the what ifs....

it concerns me that she fears this at such a young age. now no i do not do pizza and junk food every night- we do have alot of healthy meals and once a week we get a "easy' meal. fruit and veggies are strongly encouraged in the house, in-fact her favorite thing to eat is broccoli. neither my husband or I are doing any kind of diets where only certain food is allowed. he is trying to loose weight but he is cutting back on his portions - instead of large amounts and 2 plates he has cut back to 2 plates of regular portions.

how do i address this with her, is there anything to be concerned about?

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
nana776
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I would try to explain to her that as long as she eats healthy she will be healthy. I would also stress that part of eating healthy is getting enough food. (In my experience, her eating habits are pretty normal for this age.) I think she may have overheard someone discussing their diet and misunderstood. Luckily she is only four and should be easy to straighten out.

nana776
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I would also try to track down wear she picked up the term "fluffy". This may give you a clue about where this thinking started. Does she go to day care or pre-school?

bamamommy2009
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:34 PM

we don't like the word fat and my grand mother had been called fluffy with my younger cousin years ago adn we jus have replaced that word and even in her dad's family{the members she spoke about} the word fat isnt used it is fluffy. daycare IDK what word they use.

Quoting nana776:

I would also try to track down wear she picked up the term "fluffy". This may give you a clue about where this thinking started. Does she go to day care or pre-school?

frndlyfn
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I would explain that she is a growing girl but if she does have concerns, we can talk to her doctor about it.  They could possibly talk to her on a more level field for a 4 yr old about healthy living.

momluvsgg
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

It sounds like you are addressing the issue well with the conversation you had with her already. I have a four year old son, so I can understand why you would be concerned for her taking over an hour to finish her meal. Hopefully as you keep having these type of conversations with her, it will get better. If she continues to talk like this and not eat well, talking to her Pediatrician might be the next best step. Hugs!     

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Tell her that she doesn't have to worry about her metabolism until she is a grown adult and even then if she keeps good eating habits there should be no issue.  Kids very early on can develop eating dissorders so you're doing well by addressing it now.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I agree with the eat healthy be healthy comment! : )

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN