Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What do you normally use your income taxes for? Are you going to spend it differently this year?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:36 PM
  • 16 Replies
Yes I know... We are all going to be sick of this topic soon but I have to ask because I am just curios. Myself... Well I normally blow it because I used to be able to afford to do so. Usually on more expensive versions of things I needed or just going out and having fun with my daughter for several months. But last year I was stupid. I fell on hard times and didn't plan ahead. I paid off my bills but I also got pregnant in dec or January. I had to buy tons of things for the baby because the dad refused to acknowledge her (again I was stupid for even being with him in the first place) and I am behind on all my bills again. I SHOULD be getting $1500-$2000 in back support and around $7000-$8000 in income taxes. I am paying off all my debt and paying all my bills (minus the rent, just the utilities and insurance) 3-6 months ahead (I am guesstimating that will cost me about $3000-$4000). Then I am buying both of my daughters clothes for the whole year (probably about $500-$800 for both). I plan on getting gift cards for toys r us for each of them for Christmas and their birthdays ($250 in gift cards for each for Christmas and $200 for my older for a birthday party and presents and $100 for the baby for birthday and presents). And I also plan on buying a Sunoco gift card and putting money on that (about $400 in gas gift cards). I will also buy gift cards to my local grocery store at about $600. I am determined to make this year financially easier than last year!!! I am doing these gift cards and paying ahead with my bills so that if I end up loosing hours at work again or my car breaks down I have a back up plan. I will still pay on my bills every month too. If I do this with these numbers I should have between $2000-$4000 left over to save so we can finally go visit family across the country that I haven't seen since I was 15 and who haven't met my 6 year old or my baby and put the rest back for extra emergencies. I can hardly wait until income taxes come back. I am so broke right now I only eat one meal a day so my kids can eat.
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michelle623
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

We pay bills and buy things for our house, which is a fixer upper.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:23 PM

We will be paying bills.

MommeisQueen
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 3:50 PM
We try to save half of what we get and spend the other.
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 24, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Pay bills and rest goes into our checking

cupcake_mom
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 4:40 PM
Bills mostly.
mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Jan. 24, 2014 at 4:49 PM

We use ours to take care of things we need around the house whether it be bills, clothes, etc.

rocamom
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 4:56 PM

I hope to talk my hubby into using it to help pay off his car early.  We have been saving our taxes so we can renovate our kitchen but we did that last year so we are just going to save it to do other stuff to our house.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Usually we take a small vacation and buy things we need! This year we have to save every penny bc I will be on unpaid maternity leave!

raven1114
by on Feb. 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Pay any bills that are needed and then do something fun. This years will go towards the house payment and hopefully get a new shower put in the kids bathroom. If we have enough left we may go out to dinner or a movie something like that.

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 2, 2014 at 11:49 PM
We usually pay a few bills and get thjngs wr need that we don't normally have money for. This year we are going to pay off our Christmas loan and save most of it. Dh js joining the army and will leave for basic around September and we need tk make sure we have money for bills of military pay takes a while to get started. They will be paying housing and some groceries, but after we're on base with dh that gets cut back and we will still have this house to pay for if we decide to not sell it. Hopefully we can have a little fun with it also, since money it tight all year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)