Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I Don't Care If You Think I'm A Bad Mother

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:42 PM
  • 108 Replies
8 moms liked this
After thinking for some time last night about my children's punishment I've decided on making them clean the whole house top to bottom and I'm gonna make it last all day. My kids ages 6,7,& 10 are very unruly. DH and I have tried many forms of punishment. We cut out TV, no going outside to play, no company, no toys, no kind of junk food, etc. just school homework and bed. Pretty boring if you ask me but they won't change. We rent where we stay and expensive blinds came with the place, they have cut both sets in their rooms and no one wants to own up to it. Crayon and pencil marks on the wall. They have tore up our diner set put holes in the sofa tore up their socks and other clothing needed. Oldest ds lost his brand new jacket and doesn't seem to care and they all continue to lie and all but youngest continues to steal. It's driving DH and I crazy. They talk back, talk smart under their breath and have no respect for DH and I but treat everyone else like royalty. So this morning I decided to make them work all day long. I'm still pissed as I write this. I got soapy water and brooms and woke them up this morning. They each will sweep the house, with the exception of my bedroom. I have decided since oldest wants to raise his voice, steal from me and talk back, he will be cleaning the floors by hand, middle ds is cleaning the bathroom and wiping walls, and youngest ds is wiping baseboards, doors and handles and using a toothbrush to get marks off the walls. I've even pulled everything out of closets and dumped all dresser drawers on their beds. Some parents might say this is too extreme I say it isn't extreme enough.
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KLove_Mom
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like a nice work day planned. But unless you're going to do something on a regular basis to let them earn back priviledges when they are good it's doesn't seem like it will have long term effects.

Mrseoc
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 12:55 PM
6 moms liked this

The punishment sounds like it fits the crime. I don't this.k taking away all their freedom is going to make them behave though. Having a regular chore chart that could earn them privileges would probably help them to be calmer. I'd be bouncing off the walls if someone took everything fun in my life away. Have you ever watched nanny 911. She's got some good ideas on how to handle unruly children without making them miserable.

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:04 PM
3 moms liked this
This isn't a new punishment. You aren as bad mom, just a fed up. Go for it.

And don 't make this a one time thing as it will take awhile for them develop appreciation and respect for their living environment and their parents , AND each other.

It sounds like they are all feeding off some form of negative energy. I'd do the same thing you are if it came down to it.

Luckily, my two boys do take me seriously, but they think I'm a bit crazy so they aren't sure what I'm capable of. I like it that way.

Good luck, you are changing behavior. That takes longer that one deep cleaning ... Keep it up! Choosing to stop being a door mat to your children is something to be proud of , you are teaching future adult to be productive members of society. This is a GOOD THING! It starts at home .
MissDucre
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:10 PM
I've given them the option to behave better and they'll get more freedom such as staying up a little later, getting to choose what snacks they want, getting to go places with friends, basically everything they aren't getting to do if not I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. I was just trying it out today to see how it would go if they behave I will order them a pizza and let them each pick a movie for next Fri. As far as giving money, I will be giving them 50ยข Mon., Wed., and Fri. for icecream at school. Other moneys they would get when we go to the store or wherever are going towards replacing the blinds of this unit and our furniture, including their beds

Quoting KLove_Mom:

Sounds like a nice work day planned. But unless you're going to do something on a regular basis to let them earn back priviledges when they are good it's doesn't seem like it will have long term effects.

MissDucre
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:24 PM
I haven't watched it yet. I used to watch super nanny to get tips but never tried them. I'm working on a chart right now in my notebook then I'll transfer it to poster board and hang it on the wall in the kitchen. As for privileges, I'm going to start out with snacks, TV etc. No money until we get the blinds replaced. Then part of their money at the end of the week will go on things they need such as the beds they destroyed and the clothes they tore up

Quoting Mrseoc: The punishment sounds like it fits the crime. I don't this.k taking away all their freedom is going to make them behave though. Having a regular chore chart that could earn them privileges would probably help them to be calmer. I'd be bouncing off the walls if someone took everything fun in my life away. Have you ever watched 911. She's got some good ideas on how to handle unruly children without making them miserable.
MotherOF5Cuties
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Damn your kids are wild lol but yeah that's a good punishment for them.
MissDucre
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Wild is not the word lol I don't know if there's even a word

Quoting MotherOF5Cuties: Damn your kids are wild lol but yeah that's a good punishment for them.
MotherOF5Cuties
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Lol yup have seen kids like that and I don't know how you haven't pulled your hair out yet.

Quoting MissDucre: Wild is not the word lol I don't know if there's even a word

Quoting MotherOF5Cuties: Damn your kids are wild lol but yeah that's a good punishment for them.
MissDucre
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Haven't gotten around to pulling it out yet, but they're giving me lots of grief and grays

Quoting MotherOF5Cuties: Lol yup have seen kids like that and I don't know how you haven't pulled your hair out yet.

Quoting MissDucre: Wild is not the word lol I don't know if there's even a word

DACIA79
by Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like a great plan to me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN