Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Regular milk before age 1?

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:22 PM
  • 23 Replies

For the first 4 months of my daughters life i pumped so she could have breastmilk when she wouldnt breastfeed. when i ran out she was put on emfamil formula and days later she had horrible constipation. She was crying and sometimes it even makes her bleed. Her formula eventaully got switched to gentle ease to see if that would help. For the last 5 months ive been very frustrated as a mother seeing my daughter in pain knowing there is nothing i can do to help. So at this point im contemplating taking her off of formula completely. Has anybody done this or seen the results? please i want to make her better as soon as possible.

by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xcrystal88
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I would talk to a doctor but I would keep her on formula til shes one. 

celestegood
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:51 PM
No advice but talk to your child's doctor. My oldest had that problem. But they didn't have gentle ease formula back then.
He just got older and we had to put him on regular milk. He's seventeen and very sensitive to cows milk. He drinks soy milk and goats milk cheese.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Nine months old is too young to go entirely on cows milk. Talk to your doctor.
Maybe they can find a good formula for your baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
isaacsmommy68
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this

cows milk does not have enough nutrients for your child. she needs breast milk or formula before one. Talk to your doctor. You may need a new formula.

mrskandi
by New Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:03 PM

My niece was put on whole milk at 4 months old ,but that was 17 years ago .Her doctor had us do half and half ,if we made a 8 oz bottle we add 4 oz of water and 4 oz of milk .She started doing better .Always talk to your doctor ,before trying anything .hope she feels better gl

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 27, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I would talk to her pedi.

FlutterbyMom3
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:01 PM

You need to bring this up to her doctor again. I wouldn't take away formula without talking to them first. 

coala
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Our ped agreed to coming off formula early.  We didn't qualify for WIC and we were having a hard time purchasing the expensive formula she was on.  Ask the ped first and get an iron test done...if they are high enough it is usually ok to start the weaning process.

PAmommy32
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I would definitely see what the doc has to say.  My baby starting drinking cows milk at 10 months but that was only a few ounces a day.  I will probably have her switched fully to cows milk a week or two before she turns 1 because I ran out of frozen BM and she hates formula but that I think that is different than 9 months. 

csmcgr
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Depending on where you live i would suggest checking with a mother's milk bank. Im not sure what they would charge but it may be worth looking into

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)