Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

What is going on with my oven?!

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:09 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm going insane. The last several times I have tried to make cookies with the kids they have turned out out super flat. No matter if I make the dough myself or buy the break & bake cookies from the store. They end up totally flat & if I keep them in there longer they just burn vs rising/cooking correctly. Just made some break & bake chocolate chip cookies with the kids and they are mushy and flat. I cooked them at the max recommended time. Put them in for longer & the bottoms were super dark yet they were still mushy and flat.

Does it sound like my oven is going out? It seems weird that its so much more noticeable with cookies. I have noticed some things seem like they are taking longer to cook. But they do cook all the way through. Then other stuff cooks at the normal time/temperature totally fine which makes me wonder if it is actually my oven. 

banging head into wall

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
preacherskid
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:20 PM

How old is the oven?  Have you tried moving the rack?  Our oven heats unevenly, which bugs the heck out of me.

goddess99
by Michelle on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Hmm Idk. You may want to post this question in a cooking group if no one here has a solution for you.

mrsnoble2004
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 9:30 PM

I would recommend one of those thermometers that you keep in the oven so you can see if the temperature is wrong. You might be able to get away with just cleaning the burner with a wire brush/ pipe cleaner. It's tendious but sometimes on a gas oven you can get some carbon build up.

celestegood
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Sounds like you need a new oven, although you could do like pp said and get a thermometer that checks the temp inside the oven.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:00 AM
We rent so I'm honestly not sure how old it is. I'll try moving the rack around and see if it makes any difference. Thanks!

Quoting preacherskid:

How old is the oven?  Have you tried moving the rack?  Our oven heats unevenly, which bugs the heck out of me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:02 AM
I hate cooking with gas. I'll have to grab a thermometer this weekend.

Quoting mrsnoble2004:

I would recommend one of those thermometers that you keep in the oven so you can see if the temperature is wrong. You might be able to get away with just cleaning the burner with a wire brush/ pipe cleaner. It's tendious but sometimes on a gas oven you can get some carbon build up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:05 AM
Ugh.. I hope not. I'm worried that will end up being a giant hassle with the landlord. On the up side at least we wouldn't have to pay for it if that is the issue. I'm so frustrated with the darn thing!

Quoting celestegood: Sounds like you need a new oven, although you could do like pp said and get a thermometer that checks the temp inside the oven.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Gold Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 2:01 AM
I hear ya. Hopefully its just needing cleaned!

Quoting splatz: Ugh.. I hope not. I'm worried that will end up being a giant hassle with the landlord. On the up side at least we wouldn't have to pay for it if that is the issue. I'm so frustrated with the darn thing!

Quoting celestegood: Sounds like you need a new oven, although you could do like pp said and get a thermometer that checks the temp inside the oven.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 6:02 AM

You may need to check your oven and see if something is wrong with the thermostat.   I have a problem with mine burning things to easily.  Someone suggested this to me to get it checked.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I wish my late 60's Hotpoint stove would of died in the 90's!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN