Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Back labor, whats it like?

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:14 AM
  • 19 Replies

Hi all moms :) 

Ok so I am just settling into nesting and realizing all of whats to come. So after my recent OB visit I was informed that my back pain and my BH in my back mean that I will more then likely have back labor with DS. I am 90 days away from my due date and am getting very nervous. I had planned on going without an epidural or anything however I'm not sure the pain will let me go without anything. 
So I'm wondering if any moms have advice for how to handle back labor? what did you do? How did you cope with the pain?

Thanks so much!!!!  

by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Bump didn't have back labor

Clubpenguin
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:19 AM
I used a sock full of uncooked rice. To massage where the contractions were. It really helped. This was with my first (20 years ago). Lol they probably have something better now. I've also heard of using a tennis ball.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:22 AM

DH would put his hand against my back where baby's head was pressing and add counter pressure.  I also used a birthing ball.  Ultimately, I opted for painkillers but that was always part of our plan.

I've also heard it can help to labor in the tub or on all fours.

Don't stress too much.  They don't know what exactly causes back labor, so you might not have it at all.

To describe it...well labor itself is an awful experience for many women.  Back labor is like your spine trying to snap your tailbone in half, essentially.  But regular labor is painful and awful in its own ways.  If you go in confident and don't let yourself get scared by horror stories, you're probably going to be able to do just fine.

However, keep in mind the end goal is a healthy baby and a healthy Mom.  (Preferrably body and spirit!)  So if you get to the point where you want pain intervention, don't be ashamed.  I would suggest talking to the OB about all options now.  Educating yourself on all options now can help you select the right method for you.  While they aren't as popular, there are IV drugs, localized numbing options that can hit just your lower back or just your pelvic floor, etc.

MellowMum330
by New Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:23 AM

I had back labor with both of mine and pain was severe at times. I had a lot of nausea. I did not have an epidural. What helped me was staying on a "birthing ball". I straddled the ball and leaned forward with my head/ arms on the edge of the bed & rocked my hips side to side. I highly recommend no epidural - mainly because the recovery is so easy. 

lunyuny
by on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Heat and the massage from the shower water.
mom2the.rescue
by Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:28 AM

I didn't know they could tell you'd have back labor before it actually happened.  It hurts.  Bad.  Getting on all fours helps alittle.  So does pushing on it.  I gave into the epidural for that labor, but I'm convinced it was because they gave me pitocin.  I was doing okay before that.

mrsnoble2004
by ♥Arlene♥ on Jan. 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM

I had back labor with 2 of my children. I did better with it the second time around by keeping a homemade hot pack on my back. Rice in a tube sock. Had a big enough sock to wear I could have it draped across my back while I laid on my side with a little coming over my side to keep it from sliding down. 

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Jan. 28, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Same here.

Quoting mom2the.rescue:

I didn't know they could tell you'd have back labor before it actually happened.  It hurts.  Bad.  Getting on all fours helps alittle.  So does pushing on it.  I gave into the epidural for that labor, but I'm convinced it was because they gave me pitocin.  I was doing okay before that.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Jan. 28, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I had mostly back labor with my first child. I will be honest, and say it hurt terribly and made my hips hurt too! My dh massaged my back most of my labor but then I ended up with a c section.

natural_s
by Bronze Member on Jan. 28, 2014 at 1:27 PM

I had back labor with my oldest and did not even know I was in labor. Their is really nothing that I tried to do that worked when I had it, that is what led me to believe something more was going on then a regular back ache and sure enough I was in Labor.

When I had my daughter I had no medication and had her natural. The only thing that relieved it was getting the her out, lol. I don't know if getting an epidural will relieve the back pain as she was the only one of my kids that I had back labor with. The only epidural I got was a waste for me as he came out before the medicine kicked in, so I am no help with that one.

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)