Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

babies and pacifiers

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:11 AM
  • 8 Replies
I need help! I am at a loss with what to do! my baby is three months old and is such a bad sleeper.. during the day and night. I was reading a lot on taking the pacifier away completely and a lot of moms on babycenter said it was the best thing they ever did because there baby sleeps longer and falls asleep a lot easier over time of taking the pacifier away. I know a pacifier is a good soother especially for young babies and I don't want my child to be feeling discomfort without it because it seems to be the only way he can get to sleep but he does not know how to keep it in his mouth and he gets very cranky when he does not sleep well and of course I do as well! please help me and tell me what you think is best because I am at a complete loss. btw this is my first child
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
amonkeymom
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 3:22 PM

My older child didn't use a pacifier but my younger two had one until they were about 15 months old.  It wasn't too hard to get them to stop though, I just took it away gradually.

sunnysideup89
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Paci is of good use for now because he's so young. Wean everything pretty much between 8-11 months (blankie, crib, bottle, binky). Comfort toy (ie stuffed animal) can last longer, no need to wean that. You gotta hold it in his mouth, the binky and rock to sleep. The day he can roll from back to tummy you start laying him on tummy during sleep and pat on back. After 15 minutes they fall to sleep, although crying will take place but it's part of weaning process.  

12yrmama
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:11 PM

My first 2 kids loved their pacifers, after they were 1 paci stayed in the bed for only night time/naps. Paci fairy came when they were 2 yrs old, took all paci's, and left big kid toy... both got nightlights that projected stars on ceiling.

My third never took a pacifer; I was sooo surprised. A lot of nights were rough, but we avoided having to battle about giving it up.... we survived.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Mine did not really use the paci for long....Here are some help links...hope things will work out..

http://www.ehow.com/how_6109245_wean-baby-off-pacifiers.html

http://www.babyminestore.com/infoweaningababyfromapacifier.html

shannonnxoleary
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:45 PM
thank you everyone for your advice I decided to let him have the pacifier because it was too heart breaking to let him scream although it does still fall out of his mouth I'm just going to have to stick it through!
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM

My DD had a pacifier just to sleep until she was 2 ... it soothes them a lot. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:40 PM

He is young he still needs it.

DanaG70
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM

I'm so happy that none of my kids took to a paci. I'm no help, but here's a bump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN