Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is Being a Mom Really a Job?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:16 AM
  • 12 Replies

Why Being a Mom Defines Who I Am

by Jenny Erikson

Loud mouth Katie Hopkins has done it again. And by that I mean she said something inflammatory in a public forum, thus rousing the interwebs to either egg her on in her nonsense, or call her out for being a jerky jerk that says jerky things.

The former contestant on the British version of The Apprentice has made waves in the past for saying she won’t let her kids play with other kids she considers “beneath them,” and also for saying ginger babies are harder to love. This time she went after stay-at-home-moms, declaring over Twitter, “Full time mummy is not an occupation. It is merely a biological status.”

Well ok then. She tweeted that little gem on Monday, and got plenty of attention for it, because there aren’t many ways better for getting attention than launching a grenade into the Mommy Wars.

Hopkins added insult to injury in a blog post Tuesday, basically droning on about how insignificant mothers are, and how women should be at real work, instead of staying home and raising the next generation.

In her rant against moms that actually find some satisfaction and accomplishment in parenting, Hopkins elaborated her opinion:

“Being a mum is just a biological status update - albeit it more permanent than some of the updates to my relationship status. It doesn't define you, doesn't earn you a living and certainly doesn't make you an interesting person to sit next to at dinner.”

Sounds like somebody has quite the chip on her shoulder. I wonder if she knows that her three kids (ages nine, eight, and five) will someday be able to read the things she posted about on the internet about how insignificant motherhood is? She better be stocking their therapy jars, is all I’m saying.

But let’s talk about her assertion that motherhood doesn’t define you, won’t earn you a living, and makes you a boring old fuddy-duddy. Because motherhood does define me, and I’m not only OK with that, I’m proud of it.

Furthermore, it does, in a way, provide me with a living as a mom blogger. My kids are a constant source for story ideas, and the fact that I’m a parent has connected me with endless opportunities for job advancement. Parents relate to one another (unless your name is Katie Hopkins, of course), and the common bond of shared experience has opened up avenues for me that may have remained closed otherwise.

As for being an interesting dinner companion? How many people can say they once had a lively discussion with former Vice President’s daughter Liz Cheney about potty training? I can.

So maybe motherhood isn’t glamorous, and it certainly doesn’t pay well, and maybe you couldn’t call it an occupation, per se -- but that’s only because it’s so much more than that. Becoming a mom is the greatest roll I’ve ever tackled, and I have nothing but pity for folks like Hopkins who seem to have missed the entire point.

Do you think motherhood is more than an occupation?

by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:34 AM

For sure!

csmcgr
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Absolutely. And the most important one. Attitudes like had are why there are some many hooligans and teen moms nowdays. Kids need present interested and caring parents.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Yes

korra2013
by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not a job. A job is something you do to get paid. My children were a choice. Personally being a stay at home mom would be much easier than going to work.
Elle.tea.22
by Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 10:43 PM
It's not a job. It's a choice
Shelly126
by Michele on Jan. 30, 2014 at 9:28 AM
Absolutely and I can't stand when people attack each other for either working or staying home. It comes down to this, either you can't afford to stop working when you have a baby and go back to work or you enjoy your job and worked your butt off to get where you are so you choose to go back to work and that's great. OR you don't need the extra income or you just really want to be home with your children when they are little so you choose to stay home and that's great too!
It's all great if that's what works for your family! Who cares what other people choose to do or think about your choices, I know I don't. I'm proud to be a stay @ home mom to my twin 3yr old boys and we could more than afford the CHOICE that we made when we decided to have children and most especially when we found out we were having twins.
As far as being an interesting person, I think that is something that's debatable depending on personality, not weather you work or stay home. I had a very interesting career in the medical field for 15 yrs before I had my boys, just because I don't work anymore (for now) doesn't mean I don't have anything interesting to talk about. There is more to talk about than ones job or occupation, I don't wouldn't want to hear about ones job all night sitting next to them @ a dinner party. How about reading and hobbies or current events. Just because I'm home with my children doesn't mean I'm a moron that watches cartoons all day and have nothing interesting to talk about. Sheesh talk about stereotyping and being small minded!
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I agree with this.  Being a mom defines who I am even though I'm a working mom.  It is what it is, you life changes when you give birth whether you want to admit it or not.  I can talk business or I can talk diapers with the best of them.  I was a SAHM for the first year of my DD's life -  I would love to be a SAHM full time but until the bank accepts a smile for a mortgage payment or I win the lottery, this is not an option. I therefore work full time, I call after 5pm my second shift.  

There are all kinds of moms out there ... I wrote a post this week about taking care of kids (in another group) and I was flabergasted at some answers I saw to be frank.  Some moms out there make their 4 year olds make their own breakfast ... WTF !!!!!!!!!  In my book that is NOT being a mom.  And if that mom is a SAHM then she sucks at it.  Some people were telling me that I baby my 10 year old daughter too much because I still do her laundry.  I'm just ... speechless. 

Quoting korra2013: It's not a job. A job is something you do to get paid. My children were a choice. Personally being a stay at home mom would be much easier than going to work.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Of course!

korra2013
by on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM
I teach my kids to be self sufficient for the most part. There is no way however they are doing laundry in my house! No way that my 3 year old is making her own breakfast. Have you ever seen a child trying to make their own breakfast? What they consider to be breakfast? Lol. Those are the little things i enjoy. I now work less hours to enjoy these things.

Quoting Jinxed8:

I agree with this.  Being a mom defines who I am even though I'm a working mom.  It is what it is, you life changes when you give birth whether you want to admit it or not.  I can talk business or I can talk diapers with the best of them.  I was a SAHM for the first year of my DD's life -  I would love to be a SAHM full time but until the bank accepts a smile for a mortgage payment or I win the lottery, this is not an option. I therefore work full time, I call after 5pm my second shift.  

There are all kinds of moms out there ... I wrote a post this week about taking care of kids (in another group) and I was flabergasted at some answers I saw to be frank.  Some moms out there make their 4 year olds make their own breakfast ... WTF !!!!!!!!!  In my book that is NOT being a mom.  And if that mom is a SAHM then she sucks at it.  Some people were telling me that I baby my 10 year old daughter too much because I still do her laundry.  I'm just ... speechless. 

Quoting korra2013: It's not a job. A job is something you do to get paid. My children were a choice. Personally being a stay at home mom would be much easier than going to work.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Yes, I think it is a little of both but definitely not just a job...a great responsibility and a blessing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)