Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

HOME SCHOOL OR PUBLIC SCHOOL?

Posted by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM
  • 22 Replies

Hello, my name is jessica.

I am married with a little girl, Bailey 17 mo. I work full time; husband works part time. I joined this group because we have been discussing our little one's future schooling. I am big on public school, he is big on home school. With home schooling I like the idea of being able to teach her at her pace and not have to worry about the problems that you run into with public schools such as teaching to the tests, smarter kids getting ignored because others need more help or visa verse (we dealt with both when i was in school) and that is just to mention a few... but i am worried that she will have problems with her problem solving and socialization when she gets older. That is not to mention how we would even manage to do home schooling with the way that we work. As well as costs and just plainly how to go about it. I'm hoping to learn about some of my worries and questions on here. I have plenty of time to work it out and figure out the best road for her only if i start now.

My question is do you home school or public school? Do you agree with the way our schools curriculum is set up?

UPDATE: I just wanted to mention that both my DH and I were in public school and didn't enjoy hardly any of it.

by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NeonGirl9583
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM
I love public schools. We have an awesome school system here.
korra2013
by on Feb. 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm actually in favor of both. If a patent is willing to take time to teach their child i think that's awesome. My kids do go to public school and its a good one. My only issue with it have been the bully issue and that sometimes teachers don't have enough time for them. For the most part their teachers are very kind and caring. You just have to find what works best for your family.
Bamsmom2012
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM

What state are you in?

Quoting korra2013: I'm actually in favor of both. If a patent is willing to take time to teach their child i think that's awesome. My kids do go to public school and its a good one. My only issue with it have been the bully issue and that sometimes teachers don't have enough time for them. For the most part their teachers are very kind and caring. You just have to find what works best for your family.

Bamsmom2012
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM

what state are you in?

Quoting NeonGirl9583: I love public schools. We have an awesome school system here.

johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Feb. 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Public School....I give the District a 4 out of 5.

CowgirlMama0508
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM
we homeschool. as far as your work schedules, im no help there. im a sahm and hubby works. but socialization is nothing to worry about lol. Homeschooling allows kids to interact with people of all ages and backgrounds, not 20+ kids the same age where they very rarely have any time at all to "socialize"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NeonGirl9583
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 5:29 PM
I am in Ga.

Quoting Bamsmom2012:

what state are you in?

Quoting NeonGirl9583: I love public schools. We have an awesome school system here.

DixieL
by Bronze Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:19 PM

I always loved public school. I went to them, and my son, who is twenty eight now, went to them. They had their classmates, school dances, proms, and they get to graduate with their friends. The only part of school, I don't like are bullies, and the school shootings. My son was in his last couple of years of school, when I heard about Columbine, which was the first school, I had heard about shooting, and then I was scared, everyday. All in all, I would rather send my son to pubiic school, than homeschool.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Feb. 3, 2014 at 6:52 PM

My daughter went to public schools and they were great.

JodyLane555
by Member on Feb. 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM
my oldest was homeschooled until she decided to go to high school in the 9 th grade. my youngest is in 2nd and has been in public school since pre -k. I think it really depends on the child, your public school system, you and your patience, flexibility to homeschool and your local homeschool community. what we did worked for us. also remeber you can always change your mind too. i have many friends whose kids started in public then they decided to homeschool amd like us vice versa. do some research and talk to other parents in your town both who homeschool and have kids in school. there are pros and cons on both sides. just do what you feel is best for.your family.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)