Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Are these teachers crossing the line?

Posted by   + Show Post

There is a story about a middle school in Wisconsin that is taking heat for having their students play a game called "Cross the Line"

Basically the students, grades 5th - 8th are asked a series of probing questions and depending on what their answers are, are asked to step forward. A few of the questions were: " Do your parents drink?", "Has anyone in your family been to jail?" "Do you want to commit suicide?" etc

Parents are upset because they believe the 'game' is intrusive and many of these conversations that need to be had, should be left up to the parents. 
The principal was quoted as saying, "The intent of this activity was to build stronger, more respectful relationships between students".

Personally, I think it is too intrusive to ask certain questions and rather than building stronger more respectful relationships as the principal says, I think it is an open platform for bullying. Who is to say that the kids who do admit to having a parent in jail, or who has thought about cutting, won't be bullied as a result of sharing during this 'game'? While I am all for kids being respectful of each other, I don't know that this is the way to go about it.

Would you be upset by this type of 'game' at your kids school?

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:05 AM
Replies (11-20):
Bamsmom2012
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:02 AM
4 moms liked this

I can understand both sides of it. yes it may seem a bit intrusive but if you look at it from the schools side they had the right idea in my oppinion. you say it is setting kids up for being bullied. i think it's actually possibly the opposite. if kids realize that other kids may be going through the same things that they are that cause them to bully (act out) then it may enable them to connect better with other kids. as well as know it's ok to talk about what's going on because a lot of kids have no one to talk to at home. Also there was nothing in the rules saying the child had to tell the truth or forcing them to step forward. if the kid was to ashamed or scared they just stay put. I think when kids see that other kids see another step forward it could help build their confidence. Long i know i'm sorry i could go on and on i'll stop here.

_ames_
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Sounds like the game in freedom writers; I do believe it is a little extreme, however I see where the principal is coming from. Bullying is so common nowadays they want students to know they have a lot in common and instead of picking on someone they cake build friendships.
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I would yank my son out of that school.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

I would not be okay either ... it's opening a can of worms that should be left untouched.  On top of it all a kid's view is not necessarily right all the time. 

whoodathunk
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:09 AM

That game is traditionally played with permission from parents of High School students, not middle school.  I would have been upset.

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this

It just seems to be a way for the school to get information about the students that they have no right asking.

luvnature
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

That is going too far. Privacy does exists and needs to be respected no matter who you are. 

robsgurl_23
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I wouldn't want my kids playing that game. There are some things not every one needs to know. You know some people will use some info against some kids. The teachers may see it as a bonding experience to make students stronger but it could backfire and end up hurting some cause any bullies in the school could take the info and use that as a way to pick the next student to be their next target. 

amberNewman0213
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:13 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't have a problem with it. I played this in school. We had a choice of wanting to play and what we wanted to share. By the end it had a LOT of us suprised at some people who had gone threw some things. And really united our class befor high school.
EbonySnow
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 10:18 AM

I would be very upset

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)