Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Are these teachers crossing the line?

Posted by   + Show Post

There is a story about a middle school in Wisconsin that is taking heat for having their students play a game called "Cross the Line"

Basically the students, grades 5th - 8th are asked a series of probing questions and depending on what their answers are, are asked to step forward. A few of the questions were: " Do your parents drink?", "Has anyone in your family been to jail?" "Do you want to commit suicide?" etc

Parents are upset because they believe the 'game' is intrusive and many of these conversations that need to be had, should be left up to the parents. 
The principal was quoted as saying, "The intent of this activity was to build stronger, more respectful relationships between students".

Personally, I think it is too intrusive to ask certain questions and rather than building stronger more respectful relationships as the principal says, I think it is an open platform for bullying. Who is to say that the kids who do admit to having a parent in jail, or who has thought about cutting, won't be bullied as a result of sharing during this 'game'? While I am all for kids being respectful of each other, I don't know that this is the way to go about it.

Would you be upset by this type of 'game' at your kids school?

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:05 AM
Replies (251-259):
jean_marie1987
by Member on Feb. 15, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Same.

Quoting CometGirl:

It wouldn't bother me.

athorne
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:22 PM
I really would not like doing it. If they are doing this then they should be giving each child a survey that they fill out on their own anonymously so that the teachers can get an idea about what seems common with their students. Not to mention signed permission from the parents and only to those children.
AdriaJean
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Pretty embarrassed to be from WI right now. That's ridiculous!

Quoting Reina13:

There is a story about a middle school in Wisconsin that is taking heat for having their students play a game called "Cross the Line"

Basically the students, grades 5th - 8th are asked a series of probing questions and depending on what their answers are, are asked to step forward. A few of the questions were: " Do your parents drink?", "Has anyone in your family been to jail?" "Do you want to commit suicide?" etc

Parents are upset because they believe the 'game' is intrusive and many of these conversations that need to be had, should be left up to the parents. 
The principal was quoted as saying, "The intent of this activity was to build stronger, more respectful relationships between students".

Personally, I think it is too intrusive to ask certain questions and rather than building stronger more respectful relationships as the principal says, I think it is an open platform for bullying. Who is to say that the kids who do admit to having a parent in jail, or who has thought about cutting, won't be bullied as a result of sharing during this 'game'? While I am all for kids being respectful of each other, I don't know that this is the way to go about it.

Would you be upset by this type of 'game' at your kids school?

Bonnie_
by Member on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:35 PM

I don't  drink  do drugs  and  have  never  been to jail.   I've never  even  had a parking  ticket. Still I find that  very  intrusive and unacceptable.  it's nobody's damn business  and I can imagine  that for the students   whose  parents  have  been  a 'yes'  answer to  some of the questions  it's  probably  pretty  humiliating.

ZennMomma
by on Feb. 17, 2014 at 10:56 PM
No.
School is not a place for therapy or being completely openly vulnerable.
celestegood
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2014 at 7:02 AM
Yep! Agree there.

Quoting athorne: I really would not like doing it. If they are doing this then they should be giving each child a survey that they fill out on their own anonymously so that the teachers can get an idea about what seems common with their students. Not to mention signed permission from the parents and only to those children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bribriesmom
by on Feb. 18, 2014 at 8:19 AM
It's inappropiate and breech of confidentialty. That's what the Guidance Counselor's are for. This should not be done in such an open forum, this are private questions that should be addressed differently. The teachers are out of line with this one.
TrinitaSimmons
by on Mar. 7, 2014 at 10:32 AM
That would upset me too. We played a game like that but it was really for a debate not them asking personal questions. That's crazy.
wickedfunmom
by Member on Mar. 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I actually like the concept of the activity, but not as it is described here. It can actually be used as a device to diffuse bullying situations..helping kids to relate to one another. I participated in this activity as an ice breaker at freshmen orientation and they asked questions like "Have you ever been bullied?" "Have you ever made fun of someone else?" "Do you worry about what others think of you?"  etc.... we weren't asked if our parents drink or if a family member was in jail. I imagine those questions would defeat the purpose of the game as I experienced it and would make many students feel embarrased and singled out. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN