Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Are these teachers crossing the line?

Posted by   + Show Post

There is a story about a middle school in Wisconsin that is taking heat for having their students play a game called "Cross the Line"

Basically the students, grades 5th - 8th are asked a series of probing questions and depending on what their answers are, are asked to step forward. A few of the questions were: " Do your parents drink?", "Has anyone in your family been to jail?" "Do you want to commit suicide?" etc

Parents are upset because they believe the 'game' is intrusive and many of these conversations that need to be had, should be left up to the parents. 
The principal was quoted as saying, "The intent of this activity was to build stronger, more respectful relationships between students".

Personally, I think it is too intrusive to ask certain questions and rather than building stronger more respectful relationships as the principal says, I think it is an open platform for bullying. Who is to say that the kids who do admit to having a parent in jail, or who has thought about cutting, won't be bullied as a result of sharing during this 'game'? While I am all for kids being respectful of each other, I don't know that this is the way to go about it.

Would you be upset by this type of 'game' at your kids school?

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:05 AM
Replies (31-40):
Momma-2boys
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:17 AM
I would think they could make it more private. I really don't know how I would feel about it.
kensing7
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I would not be o.k. with this. This is personal information! The other kids do not need to know this!

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Feb. 4, 2014 at 11:38 AM
I would be fine with a paper survey. A verbal survey in front of everyone? That wouldn't fly with me.

Quoting johnny4ever:

When I was in 11th grade we had to do a paper survery on those questions.I am ok with it.

aztecqueen22
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 12:08 PM
In high school kids would be chosen to take this trip somewhere. I dont remember the name of what they do but they were all standing behind a white line and whatever question they asked they would step forward if it pertained to them.. I've heard it was emotional. Im not sure how I would feel if my kids were having this happen to them
bozobean
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM
I would be upset. Those things are none of anyone's business at the school. It's an invasion of privacy.
mjimaging
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this
It seems completely inappropriate and what does it really benefit. Almost, with some of those questions seems to he public humiliation. I think the school is lacking judgement by playing this game.
MinglingMom
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM

This is how I feel. While I get the point of kids relating/connecting with one another, that doesn't stop the ones not relating and then relaying personal info that I wouldn't share with just anyone. Kids (I don't care how old they are) don't always understand bounderies and you can't stop them from going home and saying, "did you know so-and-so's dad was in jail?" 

Quoting Basherte:

It just seems to be a way for the school to get information about the students that they have no right asking.

mrs.hartman12
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Everyone complains, but people still send their kids to these schools so......

mamakin616
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I would be livid..Unless a child or parent is asking for counseling on such issues,I feel that it is NO ONES business about the childs home life or the other people in the childs home.I agree that it would also lead to bullying..I think the school is stepping over the line.
Mom2Kyle03
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Defintely a bad idea. Just going to give kids more reasons to pick on others. Not cool at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN