Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Are these teachers crossing the line?

Posted by   + Show Post

There is a story about a middle school in Wisconsin that is taking heat for having their students play a game called "Cross the Line"

Basically the students, grades 5th - 8th are asked a series of probing questions and depending on what their answers are, are asked to step forward. A few of the questions were: " Do your parents drink?", "Has anyone in your family been to jail?" "Do you want to commit suicide?" etc

Parents are upset because they believe the 'game' is intrusive and many of these conversations that need to be had, should be left up to the parents. 
The principal was quoted as saying, "The intent of this activity was to build stronger, more respectful relationships between students".

Personally, I think it is too intrusive to ask certain questions and rather than building stronger more respectful relationships as the principal says, I think it is an open platform for bullying. Who is to say that the kids who do admit to having a parent in jail, or who has thought about cutting, won't be bullied as a result of sharing during this 'game'? While I am all for kids being respectful of each other, I don't know that this is the way to go about it.

Would you be upset by this type of 'game' at your kids school?

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 7:05 AM
Replies (41-50):
.Bad.Wolf.
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:45 PM
I would be mad. If a student was pulled into an office alone & asked these same questions without a parent present, the school could get into trouble. IMO this was that school's way around it.

I also agree with the parents, this just opened the kids up to more bullying.
mommie2madison
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Yes, I'd be upset.  Just because my child goes to public school does not mean the school is invited into our private lives.

Mommy4000
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh no, that is way crossing the line. If a teacher has a personal question about my child's home life, they can ask me. "Do you want to commit suicide?" Who in their right mind thinks that's a reasonable question to ask a child in front of their peers?

ZamilyMom
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:21 PM

I would be upset if they did this at my kids' school!

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I wouldn't be okay with that.

mmtosam06
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM

It wouldn't bother me. I say this as my dd is in school but yeah I would want to know what issues my child was having after answering questions like this and make myself available to her and find out what is going on at school.

mindful23
by Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Crazy idea and questions. Kids with low self confidence are open target to mean and bully tactics.

katarina666
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

What the actual fuck?!! This is so wrong! This is invasion of privacy!

biomom1437
by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:42 PM

a paper survey is a lot different then a "so called game". who saw the survey? 

Quoting johnny4ever:

When I was in 11th grade we had to do a paper survery on those questions.I am ok with it.

Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM
The completely crossed the line!

Now my son has been asked these questions in a voluntary setting. It was on break and was done by Vanderbilt as part of thesis two young women were doing on depression in Tweens .

He got paid for his time and answers were confidential. I, as a parent had to sign a consent form and all written answers were anon.

They had a couple of " group sessions" where kids talked.

I was fine with this and allowed him to participate ..... Twice

As a full class " exercise"? Absolutely not. No anonymity, feeling forced, ( oh, let's not forget narc-ing on their parents... This starts in second grade)
Kids may not be clear about alcohol use being occasionally or excessive
Or the difference between discipline and abuse.

This sound less like an " exercise" for the classroom and more of an invasion of privacy if the parent were not told beforehand.

Heck! A school cannot let a fifth grade into a puberty lecture without consent, but thinks it's fine to question the intimate workings of a child's home life without letting parents know ? INVASIVE. UNSEEMLY. CREEPY.
Teachers/ counselors typically already know how to spot children in trouble, one does not evaluate an entire grade.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)