Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Have you relocated?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

I moved from the Miami area to the Nashville area about 8 years ago and still feel like it was a mistake coming here. Our family is very hippy/new age/freethinkers. I knew this area would be pretty "Bible Belty" but have found it difficult to make any friends and I feel so different from most of the people that live here.

There are things I do like about this area, the schools, my house, the scenery etc. and the people are pretty nice generally speaking and most in this small town do pull together to help each other.

I miss a lot about Fl but I especially miss the diversity of the people. I feel like Nashville is such a growing hot spot there have to be other people/families that are open minded or mot "the mainstream". Everyone in my town assumes everyone else is Christian, the store signs quote the bible and even in restaurants and other businesses they have bible verses painted on the walls. not that I have anything against anybody but the fact that it is assumed bothers me.

I convinced my parents to move here a few years ago, they pretty much hate it but would never consider moving again at their ages. Now I feel like I boxed us in and we really are stuck here at least until my folks are gone which could be a long time still, not that i hope it's sooner.....

What would you do, or have you moved and arent happy? I dont know where we'd go if we did leave here, maybe another part of Fla like Tampa.

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TRAVELMOM817
by on Feb. 5, 2014 at 4:40 AM
There are several universities near you. You might meet some people that are more aligned to your way of thinking there. Good luck. I've relocated many times and I'll have to say that my first impressions were accurate. There was one place we lived and I knew immediately that it wasn't right for us.
johnny4ever
by Mrs. Depp on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:06 AM

I am a Military Brat so I have adjusted to it.I would stay put since since your paretns moved there.

momofsunshine77
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 8:32 AM

I would stay because your parents are there. 

Just curious question though, why do you think people are assuming you are Christian if they are decorating THEIR walls and such iith bible verses.  They might be Christian, but because it is on the wall doesn't mean they think you are.  IDk.  Just my though.  :) 

omajoy
by New Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I have relocated to Germany from Texas.  A big change in the culture, but I love it here.  JodyLane I think you might find what you are looking for in Nashville if you joined a politcal party group, got involved in theater, or another "arty" group, or maybe there are events at a university where you could connect with like-minded people.  Feeling at home involves being part of a group - a small group - where people know your name and understand you.   

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 9:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Florida seems a nice place to me too because it's warm but if you can't move again, I would say continue to try to find those that have like interests....try the library...a lot of times they have different community happenings posted or know of events in the area that might be of interest to you.....you may be able meet some friends that way...hope things will work out...

12yrmama
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Yes. I didn't realize how diverse our city was until we left :(

Now I am in the same kind of town you are, in rural North Carolina. OMG I've been here 5 yrs, we finally bought a house here last year. Then my dh got a promotion (good news but definitly a permanent thing). I can't believe it looks like we're settling in for the loooong haul here!

waytomanykids10
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:02 AM

I still live in the same area I was born and raised in. I did move away for about 4 years but moved back about 10 years ago.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I've always lived in the same boring place all my life.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Feb. 5, 2014 at 10:52 AM

We have not moved bc I am afraid we will not be happy!

ambermario4ever
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I am the opposite of you I moved from Tn to Fl. I hate it here. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)