Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I moved from the Miami area to the Nashville area about 8 years ago and still feel like it was a mistake coming here. Our family is very hippy/new age/freethinkers. I knew this area would be pretty "Bible Belty" but have found it difficult to make any friends and I feel so different from most of the people that live here.

There are things I do like about this area, the schools, my house, the scenery etc. and the people are pretty nice generally speaking and most in this small town do pull together to help each other.

I miss a lot about Fl but I especially miss the diversity of the people. I feel like Nashville is such a growing hot spot there have to be other people/families that are open minded or mot "the mainstream". Everyone in my town assumes everyone else is Christian, the store signs quote the bible and even in restaurants and other businesses they have bible verses painted on the walls. not that I have anything against anybody but the fact that it is assumed bothers me.

I convinced my parents to move here a few years ago, they pretty much hate it but would never consider moving again at their ages. Now I feel like I boxed us in and we really are stuck here at least until my folks are gone which could be a long time still, not that i hope it's sooner.....

What would you do, or have you moved and arent happy? I dont know where we'd go if we did leave here, maybe another part of Fla like Tampa.

by on Feb. 4, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Replies (11-17):
KenneMaw
by Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this

After 8 years, you haven't found an open, funky, alternative side of Nashville?   I find that interesting.   I have made big moves 2x.  First, from a tiny town in Ohio to Washington DC after college.  I loved it!!!   My hometown as small and lacked diversity, activities,, etc...   DC was crazy, it was vibrant, full of interesting people, etc..     I was there for 2 years before a job transfered me to Atlanta.  I must admit, that Atlanta feels more like home where as DC was a big, buzzing, hopping city, like NYC.   Over the years, I have found several funky parts of the city that are fun to visit due to the different attitudes of the locals.   It is really diverse and I enjoy that.  Nashville is coming so big, that I wouild think there has to be a cool area for you.   Finally, as an adult, I think it is much more difficult to find people to click with and become friends.  We have lived in our neightborhood for 20 years, only 20 houses, and we don't really know everyone :-(

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I don't know ... if you're truly unhappy, relocating won't be an issue for work or financially I would go ahead and do it.  Let your parents know, maybe if they hate it they won't mind moving !!

BannerElkHogans
by on Feb. 6, 2014 at 7:29 AM

I live in Boone North Carolina an there are alot of College kids an Hippies here .....were not either of the group but their fun to go to events with ..lol...try visiting 1 weekend , I know you an your parents would love it here .....

JodyLane555
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:08 AM
Whenever you meet new people they usually ask which church you go to and just through even casual conversations. People, even business people say things like have a blessed day. They just do. I bet a lot of people in small Southern towns have never met or had a conversation with a non -christian. The schools always decorate for Christmas and have activities and celevrations and never mention or include any other holidays. etc etc. Not just a random assumption.

Quoting momofsunshine77:

I would stay because your parents are there. 

Just curious question though, why do you think people are assuming you are Christian if they are decorating THEIR walls and such iith bible verses.  They might be Christian, but because it is on the wall doesn't mean they think you are.  IDk.  Just my though.  :) 

JodyLane555
by Member on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:14 AM
I hear you and you are right. I am sure if I put more effort into it and went into Nashville (we are actually in a small town 20 mi east) i could find some like minded people. Its hard though with my business, i work part time, and the kids etc. Not a lot of free time or the willingness to seek it out i guess.
i just hate feeling like we screwed up. Talked w dh last night. He really likes it here. but hes never been a real social butterfly so doesnt care too much about friends.

Quoting omajoy:

I have relocated to Germany from Texas.  A big change in the culture, but I love it here.  JodyLane I think you might find what you are looking for in Nashville if you joined a politcal party group, got involved in theater, or another "arty" group, or maybe there are events at a university where you could connect with like-minded people.  Feeling at home involves being part of a group - a small group - where people know your name and understand you.   

splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 6, 2014 at 8:37 AM
I moved from FL to MO. I can't say I love it here. But I don't see my family as ever moving. Even after my son is 18 and I'm not stuck here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
omajoy
by on Feb. 8, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Hi Jody, reading the other comments - I seriously think you are taking Christians too seriously.  I used to be a nonbeliever, but now I'm one of those Christians and I'm not from another planet.  "Have a blessed day" just means "Have a nice day."  And Bible verses on the wall are just things like "Live Love Laugh," or "Wash Your Own Dishes - Your Mother Doesn't Live Here."  They don't mean to make you feel left out. Here's a chance for you to move beyond your prejudices.  Get past the jargon and you'll see your Christian neighbors need your friendship just like you need theirs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)